Selling my iPhone 3GS on eBay...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macnator, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Macnator macrumors 6502

I've had my iPhone 3GS on Craigslist and Kijiji for quite some time now. I've had many people interested in it, but haven't sold it yet:(, so I'm going to put it up on ebay. I've never sold anything on ebay, let alone an iPhone so I have some concerns.

It is locked to Rogers here in Canada. What happens if the person who buys it is in the US? Will it work for them there? If the buyer is in Canada then there shouldn't be any problems. I have the option to list it under US Dollars or Canadian Dollars.

Is there anything I would have to do other than remove the SIM Card and wipe the iPhone before selling?

Also, if I sell something, and the money is put into my paypal account, I just have to transfer the money to my bank account and go to the bank and withdraw the cash? Not exactly sure how that works.

Thanks for all your help.

2. yrrej macrumors regular

when you sell the item the person sends you cash via paypal and you just transfer into your bank account, it'll be like you deposited a check. that's it.

not sure about the canada/US question. but if you wait a little bit, they should be releasing an unlock/jailbreak for iOS4 this week so u can do that and maybe get more money for your 3gs? good luck.

3. Macnator thread starter macrumors 6502

Once the buyer pays me with paypal, and after I receive the payment, I can just go to the Withdraw Funds option, then transfer the money in my paypal account to my bank account and just walk into the bank and withdraw the cash?

Just wanted to clarify that part.

I've read about the upcoming unlock/jailbreak, but I'm not exactly comfortable doing that myself, if it is able to be unlocked would just saying that on the listing be worth it?

4. Macnator thread starter macrumors 6502

Can someone answer about the whole selling my iPhone that is locked to Rogers to someone in the US? Plus if there's anything else I need to do other than what I listed?

Can someone clarify the whole transferring money from paypal into my bank account? Is what I wrote above correct?

5. yrrej macrumors regular

yes once the money is in your paypal account you can choose to withdraw it and it'll transfer into your bank and you can walk into the bank and withdraw it. it generally takes 3-5 days to transfer funds from your paypal account to your bank account.

having the 3gs unlocked would greatly increase the value of the phone, maybe people that are buying them are planning on using them for other carriers.

6. Macnator thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright thanks. That's pretty cool that I can just transfer the money from paypal to my bank account and walk in and withdraw it as cash. :D

As for unlocking it, I know it greatly increases the value of the phone. AFAIK it's not possible to unlock baseband 05.12.01 right now, but the upcoming unlock/jailbreak should allow it? I've read an article that said it is legal to unlock a phone, so long as the phone in question is not under contract with a carrier. Which mine is. Maybe just stating that the phone is unlockable is enough.