Selling my Iphone 5 on Ebay need Help.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LondonChameleon, Sep 16, 2014.

1. LondonChameleon, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014

LondonChameleon macrumors newbie

Hi,

apologies if this subject has been bought up 1 million times before but looking for some fresh advise as I have not seen this type of transaction before.

I am currently selling my iPhone on Ebay and received a message from a buyer claiming he would pay me through Paypal as long as I could ship the iPhone outside of the UK. I said that would not be an issue as long as he gifts the payment through Paypal so that the payment would not be associated with the phone and we would not be able to file a claim of not receiving the phone. Am I safe?

TLDR; Received gift payment through paypal for my iPhone 5, am I safe?

any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Sounds like you two are trying to scam each other.

3. LondonChameleon thread starter macrumors newbie

Why would i bother asking for advise if I was trying to scam someone? :rolleyes:

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

To make sure you are doing it right?

5. accountforit macrumors 6502a

He can file a chargeback through his credit card company, and if sent as a gift payment, Paypal will not help you fight it.

6. LondonChameleon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the heads up.

7. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

PayPal usually deducts from checking accounts not credit cards, unless you have a paypal CC.

8. gochi macrumors 6502

9. blhoward2 macrumors 6502

I believe this is true for straight sending money but I'm sure they could claim to Paypal that their account was hacked or something. The guy I sold my iPhone 4 to tried to chargeback like 6 months after I sold it on ebay. Fortunately, I still had the shipping reciept and Paypal accepted the tracking number as evidence that he was full of BS.

Moral of the story: Only ship to paypal verified addresses and never throw out the tracking information.

----------

They call their card company and tell them they didn't authorize the charge. The card company will notify Paypal and Paypal will place a hold on any balance in your account (or your credit card if no balance). Paypal will deduct the disputed money and return it to Mastercard or whoever unless you can prove you meet the requirements for Seller Protection.

10. RafixPhoenix macrumors regular

11. accountforit macrumors 6502a

You have no idea what you are talking about. You can make payments for items, through Paypal, with credit cards.