Selling my iphone on ebay...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by foulmouthedleon, Sep 27, 2008.

1. foulmouthedleon macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

I'm sure this has come up before and after a search through these forums, can't find exactly what I'm looking for, so I'll ask here.

Just upgraded to a 3G phone yesterday and I want to get rid of my 1st gen. What do I need to do to sell it? I'm assuming I resotre it via settings, etc. but do I need to remove my SIM card? Is this phone considered "locked" or "unlocked" (everything was done via the Apple store, so it's all legit - not exactly sure what the differene between an unlocked phone and a used phone is).

Basically I have no quams selling my phone but don't want the ebay winner to somehow activate the phone and have it tied to my account.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer...

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

It's locked..

go into Settings and whatever I don't remember the exact spot, but do a Master Reset or something. and then Take out you're SIM card, and ship it to the other person.

ITS LOCKED!

3. foulmouthedleon thread starter macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

Ok, so get all my stuff off there, remove SIM card, do a master reset and I'm good to go.

Thanks much!

4. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

If it is all legit then that is a LOCKED phone because it can ONLY be used on at&t. When a phone is UNLOCKED it can be used with any GSM carrier. The reason the first gen is still getting high prices is because it CAN be unlocked for other carriers. The 3g cannot be unlocked as of now. So when you sell it you can get more if it is unlocked.

5. foulmouthedleon thread starter macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

Obviously I want the highest price for my phone I can get. Is there a legit (legal) way I can unlock it so that I could fetch a higher price on ebay or is that a no no to ask here?

6. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

No, you're ALLOWED to ask here. it's not legal as per AT&T/Apples conditionings. but, you need to do a master reset, BEFORE you take your SIM card out.

If I were you, in the eBay listing, I'd put "Can be unlocked or jailbroken if needed"

you'd get more range of customers then. because if they want a jailbroken or unlocked phone then you can do it, if they don't then you don't have to do anything.

7. foulmouthedleon thread starter macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

Good point. Thanks for all the help guys/gals!

8. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

you should include weather or not the warranty is still in effect or not on your phone, it may get you a little more money.

9. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00