selling my mac, faulty superdrive, need help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kofot, Jul 28, 2012.

1. kofot macrumors newbie

Hi!

I want to sell my Macbook Pro Late 2008, and to do this I need to reinstall with the OSX DVD that came with the computer. HOWEVER the superdrive on this machine is not working correctly and keeps spitting out CDs and dvds (or, the show up as blanks). I will ofc inform the buyer of this faulty superdrive and price it accordingly...

Now, how can I get a fresh, factory like install? Would it be possible to make an IMG of the DVD on a separate computer and boot off it via USB flash drive, or would you have to move the HDD to a new computer and install it this way? :confused:

Another solution could be to get a portable DVD reader via USB and boot the DVD from this.. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. Stooby Mcdoobie, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012

Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

If you can get the OS X image (.dmg) onto your Mac, you can create a USB installer.

If you have a Windows machine with a working DVD drive, you can use a program like TransMac or MagicISO to create the image.

I think TransMac can even restore .dmg files to USB drives (just like Disk Utility in OS X), which should leave you with a bootable USB installer. So try that.

3. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

try using dvd lens cleaning disc, if not buy external dvd drive [LG sell a reasonably priced one ] and try that