Selling my mac, getting an iPad

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by redraidermacman, Mar 6, 2011.

1. redraidermacman, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

redraidermacman macrumors regular

right now I have 2 macs, the ones in my sig, going to sell one of them and get and iPad and save the rest of the money, my first instinct is to keep the desktop since some of uses of the iPad2 are comparable to the mbp, but the mbp is really the better computer of the 2 that i have, so i am in a quandry as to what to do and thoughts would be appreciated myself and mrs. redraidermacman, thanks!

2. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

I'd sell the iMac and have a MBP/iPad 2 combo. That way, they're both portable and if you ever feel the need to have a bigger screen coming from a 24", just get an external display.

3. epb87 macrumors member

What will an iPad2 give you that you don't already have?

4. redraidermacman thread starter macrumors regular

well, firstly money, will net about 200-400 dollars, but we dont really need 2 computers, but we need something more than one computer, iPad seems like a logical solution....

5. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

Do it. For browsing (especially for the mrs.) I bet she'll love the iPad. I just sold my MBP and got a MBA 13", and my girlfriend is getting the iPad 2 this Friday/weekend. When she needs to be doing school work and creating and editing documents, she may use the Air and that leaves me to browse on the iPad, but looking at iWork on the iPad may just let her use the iPad for school work as well. I think the combination of a laptop/iPad is brilliant, especially for a bf/gf or husband/wife.

6. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

I'd wait for iPad3 (yes, I know...). It is supposed to be vastly better than iPad2 (rather than the minimal upgrade that iPad2 was over iPad1) and probably able to better replace your need for MBP.

So hang on...

7. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Hey bro, just admit it, you want an iPad 2 and you are searching for excuses to buy one? :D

8. redraidermacman thread starter macrumors regular

oh, its happening, just deciding which computer to sell in order to do that, and by the time the ipad 3 is announced my computers will be further devalued.....

9. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Personally I would sell the MBP, the iPad is exceptionally portable, and with the iMac you get power and screen real-estate. Buying an extra display would eat into your budget.

10. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

I agree that depreciation is neither your friend nor mine. :) Since either machine should net you enough dough to buy an iPad 2, I would sell the MBP, while the getting is good! IMHO As others have stated, swap a portable device with a portable device, problem solved. Happy Shopping! :cool: