Selling my Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by prmccarron, Apr 3, 2010.

1. prmccarron macrumors regular

prmccarron

I am selling my Mac, and I see some on Powermax.com going for over $300, even though they only have 128 MB RAM or a 40 GB HD. Can anyone sell on there, or is it just them? Because I kind of want the money, as I'm selling this one to get a MBP.
    Leave links if you can, thanks.

2. prmccarron thread starter macrumors regular

prmccarron

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

powermax is a company.

You can sell them your mac, they will even apply it to a new one.

Your 17" G4 iMac *was* a nice mac, so it still gets an OK price.

But dont expect more than $300ish.

ebay completed auctions is truly the best option.

4. prmccarron thread starter macrumors regular

prmccarron

How do I get Powermax to sell it? I've searched the site, but couldn't find anything but the trade in program, and I didn't buy it from them. Can you tell me how to get there, or maybe even a link? Thx

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Trade-in program
    ; it's a big image on top left corner of the main page that reads "Trade in"

I do believe you would need to buy a computer from them to be able to trade in. You can't have Powermax sell anything for you; they are not agents. They are like many online Apple retailers, except they happen to accept trade-ins and they sell used Macs as well.

6. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Ummm, no where in my post do I say they will sell it for you. =)

7. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

You sort of imply it though with your comment about "they will even apply it to a new one" ;)

That being said, I also think Alphaod was talking to the OP instead of you due to the OP question about how to get them to sell it.

8. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I don't know how anyone could misinterpret that. They'll apply the trade in value toward a new purchase. It's like buying a car.

9. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

You don't really talk about it being like a trade in. You say "you can sell them your mac" which implies someone could sell them a Mac. Then by saying "they will EVEN apply it to a new one" implies you have other options like just getting a check. JMO (and that of my wife who was a HS English Teacher ;))

She also said no where should one word.....nowhere. :D

Back to the topic.

You would be better off selling it yourself unless the hassle is not worth it. If you qualify for education discount then you are definitely better off selling it yourself on eBay or locally to someone you know.

I have heard of many selling their older Macs to people at workplaces for second computers for children in school, etc. so I would pursue that as well. If you are on Facebook ask your facebook followers if anyone needs a second hand computer.