Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Uddername

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2013
I'm selling a macbook pro 2009, Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.26GHz with 8gb RAM, it's got a standard 160gb hard drive but i want to upgrade it and thus hopefully sell the macbook for more. I haven't decided on a total price yet but
which one would be more popular with the consumer?

with 1tb HDD (Extra £30/$50 to the price)
with 500gb SSHD (Extra £45/$75 to the price)
with 250gb SSD (Extra £90/$155 to the price)
with 480gb SSD (Extra £165/$270 to the price)

What do you think? I'm not sure which to go for.

The 1tb HDD is the cheapest and most impressive sounding.
The SSD's are more expensive but will genuinely make the mac run much faster.
The SSHD is a good compromise between the two maybe?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I don't think you will get back the cost of any of those upgrades by way of an increased sale price. Just sell it as is, assuming it is working properly, and let the new owner add whatever kind of drive they want.

StockDC2

macrumors regular
May 16, 2011
I don't think you will get back the cost of any of those upgrades by way of an increased sale price. Just sell it as is, assuming it is working properly, and let the new owner add whatever kind of drive they want.

This is the best answer.

However, to help speed up the sale, I would go with the 1TB drive. As you mentioned, it sounds the most impressive and most consumers are still not aware of the capabilities of an SSD.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I'd have to agree with Weaselboy on this one. Just bought 3 used Macbook Pros, all with different drives. One had a 160 GB SSD, one a 250 HHD and one a 1 TB HHD. Each have their own purpose.

It was more about the condition of the machine than anything else that I was concerned about. Plus I needed different drives for different purposes. Needed one for faster running of programs, one for large storage and one did not matter.

You will not get more for adding a new drive. Let the buyer do that if they want. They will know better what they need. I would not have paid more, when I could do it myself and then get the drive of my choice, not the sellers choice.

Uddername

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2013
But I assume people on here wouldn't pay more because we kinda realise it's easy to do, but i think if the average joe saw a laptop with 160gb...then one with 1tb, they'd opt for the 1tb. And if i can purchase a cheap 1tb ($50 is pretty cheap imo) and do it myself, then i can make a little extra money.

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW
I'm selling a macbook pro 2009, Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.26GHz with 8gb RAM, it's got a standard 160gb hard drive but i want to upgrade it and thus hopefully sell the macbook for more. I haven't decided on a total price yet but
which one would be more popular with the consumer?

with 1tb HDD (Extra £30/$50 to the price)
with 500gb SSHD (Extra £45/$75 to the price)
with 250gb SSD (Extra £90/$155 to the price)
with 480gb SSD (Extra £165/$270 to the price)

What do you think? I'm not sure which to go for.

The 1tb HDD is the cheapest and most impressive sounding.
The SSD's are more expensive but will genuinely make the mac run much faster.
The SSHD is a good compromise between the two maybe?

In my opinion, total waste of time and money. Sell it as is and move on!

:apple:

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
If you already have the drive to install, it will probably improve the price but if you have to buy the drive you won't get your money back.

bigeasy_uk

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2005
Leamington Spa, England
But I assume people on here wouldn't pay more because we kinda realise it's easy to do, but i think if the average joe saw a laptop with 160gb...then one with 1tb, they'd opt for the 1tb. And if i can purchase a cheap 1tb ($50 is pretty cheap imo) and do it myself, then i can make a little extra money.

I assume by the £ pricing you are in the UK? My mum is after a macbook as the logic board in her old one died. How much do you want for it? Pm me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.