Selling my Macbook ... do I need a "contract" or anything written?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by virilep, Jun 17, 2009.

1. virilep macrumors member

I have agreed to sell my Macbook Core2Duo on Craigslist. Do I need to have a contract of some sort or a paper saying "The computer is in good working order" and such?

Didn't know if anyone has any experience. Thanks so much.

Have to give it to him in 4 hours...

=)

2. fpar macrumors regular

I dont believe so, the best thing to do is demonstrate that it is working when you hand it over and be sure to inform the buyer that all sales are final and that you are no longer responsible for anything that may go wrong.

3. boston44 macrumors 6502

No, no. Don't give him anything in writing. I sold mine two nights ago, go ahead and let him test it out, but he should know on craigslist there is no money back, everything is as-is. That's the risk you take when you buy. If you give him something in writing and he messes with something himself, he can take you to court. They would never know he himself messed with the computer. If he asks for a contract, I would stay away.

4. virilep thread starter macrumors member

He seems like a very nice guy and my computer is in perfect working order. I've kept it pretty pristine.

thanks so much for the replies.

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

:confused: There's absolutely nothing wrong with getting a contract written up for a purchase on CraigsList. It's a good idea for both parties. The buyer can take the seller to court whether or not there's a contract in place - if there is a contract, then the seller has a much better legal defence.

If you are planning to write up a contract, just ensure it lists the buyer and seller's names, the serial number and price of the computer, and include a line stating something like "no warranty expressed or implied by the seller".