Selling My Macbook Need Help!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 2fresh12, Jul 13, 2010.

1. 2fresh12 macrumors newbie

Ok so i'm selling my Macbook to a friend this weekend and buying a new one. What I need to do before I sell it I wanna whipe the hard drive so it's like new I also have an external hard drive with all my music pictures etc on it so how do I transfer my stuff on there to my new computer is it as simple as plugging it in to the new one? :apple:

2. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

If your buying a new Mac just make a clone copy (via carbon copy or SuperDuper) of your HDD and then just connect it to your new system and let migration assistant do the rest...

3. JCCash macrumors regular

that's what I love about these mac books they are so easy....

4. 2fresh12 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks soo i used super duper and copied my hard drive so now when I get my new macbook pro i'' just connect my external hard drive when I start it up and migration will put everything from my old hard drive onto the new one right?

5. neal.young macrumors member

Before you sell your MacBook, you should make sure to securely wipe the drive. As others have said, you should use Carbon Copy Cloner or a similar tool to get all of your data off the drive. After your data has been copied, boot from the Mac OS X Installation DVD. Select "Disk Utility" under "Utilities" in the menu bar, then select "Erase". Execute a 7-pass overwrite of all data on the drive. This will ensure that nobody else can access your private data on the disk. You can then reboot from the DVD, and do a fresh install of OS X to restore the computer to the exact same state it was in after you bought it.

6. 2fresh12 thread starter macrumors newbie