Selling my Macbook pro Help needed

WindowsTraitor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
Hi,

I decided to sell my macbook pro. I would some advise on the following:

1- Around May, I will be buying a new mac. I am not sure if I will go with the imac 27" or the new 17"(if they come up with a new one.) At the moment I use Time Machine together with a 1TB WD external drive.

Question 1- Will I be able to restore what i have in the time machine to the new computer. Do I need to reinstall programs like Photoshop etc? Can I just make an image of what I currently have and then just transfer it in the new machine?

Question 2- I have a bootcamp partion for Vista 64bit. I used winclone in the past to increase the partition size. Will I be able to use winclone to copy that same partition to the new computer. I have OEM version of Vista.

Question 3- What is the best way to completely erase the HDD?

Question 4- How will I live without my macbook pro for 5 months :)?(I answer that myself)

Thank you for your help.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
1. You will not be able to do a restore from your Time Machine backup of your macbook to your imac.
Oh?
Migration with style.
If you’re setting up a new Mac with files from an old Mac, Time Machine can help simplify the process. Just use Migration Assistant to copy portions of any Time Machine backup to a new Mac, or select “Restore System from Time Machine” in the Utilities menu on your Mac OS X install disc. Choose any date recorded in Time Machine to set up your new Mac exactly as your previous Mac was on that date.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It talks about files. Can you also restore the installed programs? has anyone done?

Thank you.
Yes, installed apps, too.

Never again worry about losing your digital files. Time Machine automatically saves up-to-date copies of everything on your Mac — photos, music, videos, documents, applications, and settings. If you ever have the need, you can easily go back in time to recover anything.