Selling my MacBook Pro when iPad 2 comes...but need advice on making seamless switch

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Iron Chef, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Iron Chef macrumors member

When the iPad 2 comes out, I'm going to sell my MBP and switch to the iPad 2 as my primary computer. I evaluated my use of the MBP, and realized that just about anything I do on my MBP, I can do on the iPad, especially if I buy the keyboard dock.

My only concern is file storage. I have a bunch of Word documents that I am going to need to store once I sell my MBP. Is there any solution for this besides buying a backup drive?

I want to be able to access these documents quickly the way I would on my MBP. For example, I keep a spreadsheet of my personal expenses, and would need to update it daily as I do now on my MBP.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You do realize that the iPad has no file system, right? This isn't likely to change with the iPad2. I love my iPad, but there's just no way I'll rely on it as my primary computer. Do work on it while on the go, yes. But to store and backup my files, I use a desktop computer.

3. Iron Chef thread starter macrumors member

I do, and thats why Im asking what my options are. Are there apps that solve this problem?

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

There are apps that let you work with those files, yes. Updating your spreadsheet daily should be easy enough. But if the only copy of your spreadsheet you have is on your iPad, then if something happens to your iPad, your spreadsheet is gone. I assume you'd want to keep a backup of all your data. And that's where the iPad completely fails as an independent device. In order to back it up, you need another computer.

5. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

Do you still have another desktop or laptop to sync to? As I'm sure you know, you need an actual computer to start using the iPad and to back it up, so as long as you have that, using the iPad as a main machine shouldn't be too much of a problem.

6. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

MobileMe for file storage but doesn't resolve the issue of having an optical drive. All your music would need to be downloaded via iTunes. I suppose if you already have a computer at work, you could get away with it by putting all your stuff on that and syncing that way. But TBH, I don't think the iPad is a reasonable replacement to your MBP.

7. IcyStorm macrumors regular

8. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

9. techpr, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010

techpr macrumors 6502

techpr

You still need the computer (MBP in this case) for iOS Version Update, App, Music, Videos, Photos Sync and Backups.