Selling my MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikemath, Mar 20, 2013.

1. mikemath macrumors newbie

Hi Folks,

I have sold my MacBook Pro to someone. It's a late 2009 model with a 500 GB HDD. Now the problem is I upgraded it to Mountain Lion. I did some research and obviously I cannot sell it with Mountain Lion on it. I don't have the original discs it came with. What are my options here?

I already formatted the drive. When I reboot the machine after formatting, it comes up with this menu option with 4 choices. One of them is reinstall Mac OS. When I click on it, it asks me to install Mountain Lion. Should I leave it at that? Also, I noticed while formatting, in the disk utility, there is a partition which says Base Apple OS or something. I cannot format that one. I just want to make sure that the Mac doesn't contain any of my personal information. I would have assumed that when I format, it erases all my data and settings. However on rebooting, it still connects automatically to my home wifi - how is that?

Thanks.

- Mike

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

If you legally purchased and installed ML on that MBP, i'd sell it like that and inform the customer that it did not originally come with that OS. The buyer will probably upgrade the OS anyways. ;)

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can order replacement discs for your model by calling Apple (800-767-2775 in the US).

4. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

5. mikemath thread starter macrumors newbie

I am selling it for $700 - not sure if its a good price :)
    It's mis-2009 MB Pro 15.4".

I still have a question - when I do a full format of my HDD - how come it doesn't erase my settings. I would have expected it to not connect to my wireless network automatically after the format.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

When you enter your wifi info from the Recovery HD it is stored in NVRAM. I have not tested this myself, but other forum members report the wifi info will be wiped if you reset NVRAM.

So command-r start from recovery and erase Macintosh HD, then install the OS. Then after that reset NVRAM.

7. mikemath thread starter macrumors newbie