Selling my MacBook to my friend?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iSamurai, Sep 22, 2008.

1. iSamurai macrumors 65816

Nov 9, 2007
    ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
    Hi all,

My friend suggested interest to me of purchasing my MacBook today (ok, I'll tone down my language).

So anyway, I'd like to sell it to him, because I can end up with a newer MacBook or whatever. I don't want to make money from him, because 1) he's my friend and 2) if I sell it any more expensive he'll just buy a new one.

I got my MacBook in December 2007, and I'll sell it at the end of this year. It's a white MacBook (the one with the DVD drive):
    2.2GHz Core 2 Duo, 4MB cache
    120GB HD
    4GB RAM

Everything else is in top condition. It's not scrached or anything, because I use a protective sleeve when I carry it around. The battery is still very decent as I do regular decharge and what not. Everything else works perfectly. I bought it at Taipei's computer expo month.

How much do I sell it to him? Any suggestions?
  2. tMac85 macrumors 65816

Sep 15, 2007
    in a great place

although this should be in the feeler section of marketplace, i would say $875. or a little less.

my 2 cents.
  3. Melrose Suspended

Dec 12, 2007
    Drop 15-25% off the refurb price from Apple. Shave off more the better friend he is..
  4. iSamurai thread starter macrumors 65816

Nov 9, 2007
    ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
    no, I'm not selling member-to-member. I'm just asking for opinions :)
  5. macDonalds macrumors 6502

Jun 8, 2007
    So what was it new? I would say take 30% off maybe? So if it was $1500 I would sell it for about 1000.
  6. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Apr 19, 2008
    Pandora, Home Tree
    I second the $1000 price. It's not that old, and Macs retain value well.
  7. JPark macrumors 6502a

Jun 5, 2006
    Does the Marketplace even exist anymore? I only see it in the Archive.
  8. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2007
    haha, good move. One question: is your friend aware that new macbooks are coming out in a couple weeks? Obviously he's looking for a deal on a used MB but I'd sell it quickly before any further announcements come out.
  9. iToaster macrumors 68000

May 3, 2007
    In front of my MacBook Pro
    Due to an abundance of not entirely honest sellers the marketplace was closed and a new one took it's place where a user must have been registered for at least 6 months and have at least 500 posts. It's for the better I suppose...

Anyway, OP, I'd sell a MacBook like that to a friend for about $900 and I'd do it quickly before he does his research :D.