Price Advice Selling my new iPad 32 gb black wifi......

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Wediafom, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Wediafom macrumors member

So I listed my mint/flawless iPad 3 on Craigslist asking $500 and got an offer for $450 instead. Do you fellow Macrumors think it's a decent offer? I am losing about $200 in order to upgrade to the iPad 4.

2. Petey-ed macrumors 6502

On the resale market for these devices, you will never get the returns for the higher end space (32gb/64gb). It never seems like the extra $100 per jump in space recoops its cost over just the standard 16gb device.

I only by 16gb devices basically for best recoop of dollars, and I don't need anymore space than that.

So to answer your questions, you will lose $50-$75 on just the device and half the space value, $50. I would say you should ask him for $475 or just stay firm at $500.

3. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

If you are completely determined on upgrading.. then $450 isn't bad. Everytime I've upgraded around the release of the next gen, I generally get about $400 for the 16GB, so add $50 and that isn't bad.

However, ask yourself this.. how often do you use FaceTime? The only 3 upgrades is the processor, the front facing camera, and the connector. I don't consider the connector to be an upgrade or downgrade really, although I don't mind it on my phone. I never use FaceTime, and if I did.. I'd probably use a Mac or my iPhone, and the processor is probably going to be unnoticeable.

I don't own a 3rd gen iPad anymore, as I sold it awhile back in favor of the 7" form factor (I have a Nexus 7 and will be buying a Mini).
    But if I did still have it, I don't think I would upgrade.

4. WLS macrumors 65816

I just sold the same thing and was happy to get $450 cash. You can get more on eBay but then you have to pay sellers fees and deal with the hassle of shipping it off. Don't be greedy and just move on.

5. Wediafom thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for tips. I appreciate it:)

----------

You're right, I owned my new iPad for like 2-3 month and never used FaceTime. The upped processor is the only thing that's making upgrade. I mostly use my iPad for gaming, watch movies ( only reason I got the 32gb), YouTube videos and reading books (textbooks). Like Petey_ed said, I will ask him for $475. :)

----------

Yeah, that's why I chose Craigslist. I am including my $50 Timbuk2 case and that's why I listed my iPad for $500. Thanks for replying, I appreciate it.:)

6. Caliber26, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012

Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Ha! At least you're lucky to get any replies. I've had my iPad 3 (32GB + LTE) on Craigslist since the 21st and have only had one person text me, LOL. I have it listed for $575 and he offered me $500. I told him I would only go down to $550 and he insisted on $500, so I said forget it.

My version of the iPad is going for $599 on the Apple refurb store so I have to sell a little under that price in order to compete with their 1-year warrantee (mine only has up until March) and the new exterior shell that comes with theirs. Your model is going for $469, so getting $450 is actually pretty good. I'd definitely sell it for that price if I were in your shoes. I doesn't look like there are any iPad 3 buyers out there. At least not here in Orlando.

Something else to consider...you were willing to ride out with your current iPad until March/April of next year. At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Apple launches a new iPad mini w/ Retina and a redesigned iPad (matching the new look of iPhone 5 & iPad mini) during WWDC in June, so maybe it's worth waiting it out. Just food for thought...

7. Wediafom thread starter macrumors member

Hi there, thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear that you were not able to sell yours like you wanted to:(
    Yeah, I listed on Craigslist on Sunday and got about 4 replies:) one of them was definitely a scam, as he wanted me to use PayPal because he lives in Maryland ( he told me, he is a serviceman:rolleyes:). My listings were strictly in SF Bay Area anyway.

I will update you guys soon:)

8. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Is the heat problem solved in Ipad 4? since weight is exactly the same. Faster processor enough?

why not get 64G ipad mini.

9. urkel macrumors 68030

Tell me about it. I tend to get 32GB for everything and it makes me crazy to see the resale value be only a few bucks less for the 16GB. With my 4S in the resale market then 16GB was going for $325 and 32GB only for $355.

I really wish Apple would follow the Nexus7 model where they charge only $50 tiers to go from 8 to 16 to 32 since its more realistic. (But I guess while I'm dreaming then I should also wish that Apple didnt rip us off with that ridiculously unrounded $129 for the wifi antenna.)

10. jacob-07 macrumors regular

that is what im waiting for! i would love for the next gen ipad to have the looks of the mini.

11. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Ah, yes, I forgot to mention I've gotten AT LEAST 50 replies from outta towners, wanting to buy via PayPal. They are the hemorrhoids of Craigslist.

12. Wediafom thread starter macrumors member

Nah, haven't been impressed by the iPad mini. From what I have read so far, it's basically the same as iPad 2. I will consider it when the iPad mini gets retina display and A6 chip.

----------

Lol, this is pathetic. One person replied with the following email:

Thanks for the mail i want you to know that PayPal is the only payment i can do cos is very easy to send and received money online.So i want you to kindly set up an account with your email address it's very easy just visit www.paypal.com and get an account with them and get back to me with your full name and your email address you use for the registration so i can processed with the payment Asap.Hope to hearing back from you as soon as possible.

Haha, notice no punctuation whatsoever. :eek:

----------

So, we finally agreed on $450 with no case. My original asking price was $500 with a $45 case. Should I meet him at Starbucks or police station? Any suggestions.

13. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Well, I didn't necessarily mean ask more. If all you can about is the processor, I seriously wouldn't upgrade. For the $200+ you'll be out.. you could nearly buy an iPad Mini on top of your iPad 3, or you could get a Nexus 7, etc. etc.

EDIT: Also over 90% of "buyers" wanting to buy your item via Craigslist with a payment method other than cash (PayPal, Money order, Wester Union, etc.) is almost always a scam. Steer clear.

14. Wediafom thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it:) I am just worried that apple might continue with it's 6 month cycle from now on ( we don't know yet) and the resale value of my iPad my plummet even further. I have iPhone 5 and might as well have the same connector.

15. WLS macrumors 65816

Yeah, that's why I chose Craigslist. I am including my $50 Timbuk2 case and that's why I listed my iPad for $500. Thanks for replying, I appreciate it.:)[/QUOTE]

Oh you didn't mention it included a case, still a used case is not going to get you much over $25 more unless it's leather. As mentioned above $450 is going to be as good as you can do on CL as you can get a new refurb with a full years warranty for $470 or so for a 32GB.
    Since I did get a good buyer I'm gonna try the mini and see if I like it. What I got for my iPad3 will cover the cost of the mini and I can return it if I don't like it.
    Watch out for those CL scumbags that want you to pay with PayPal. That's a known scam as they send you the money and when they get it they file a complaint with PP about it and PP yanks the money back out of your account. Sell locally and meet in person is the rule for me on CL.

16. pommie82 macrumors 6502

No matter what you buy you are going to lose money on things its just a fact of life unfortunately.Have you tried the recycling companies online that buy iPads,iPhones,iPod Touches you might get a good price off them you never know always worth getting a quote and see what they say if its not very good then just don't go through with the offer. i have used a few recycling companies in the past to sell things and they are very good and quick and normally in 48hours i have my money in my bank account no hassle and smooth if you are going to sell then you must be honest in the description because if you don't then this could make you lose money on the item you are selling when i have sold i have always got the price that i have been quoted on the internet.

17. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I suppose, I'm not going to tell you how to spend your money. So if that's what you want, go for it.