Selling My PC for a MB, need to know how much I can net!?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JonMcDonald, Jan 18, 2009.

1. JonMcDonald macrumors member

Hey guys and gals, being in college with no laptop is starting to hurt. So I'm deciding to sell my Desktop + Monitor + 5 speakers + etc, to try and purchase a MacBook.

Now there are two questions to this thread. Firstly, is it worth saving for the new MacBooks that are out, or would a used MacBook 07 (2g Ram, 2.4 GHz, etc...) work just fine? I found a used MacBook 07 for only 600$.

Second, I know next to nothing about the actual computer. I know lots of things within the OS but the physical computer, I'm pretty clueless. This model: Computer Specs. The only thing to add is I put in a 128MB Video Card. I was thinking with the flat screen 21 inch monitor and the 5 speakers, I could maybe net in the 600$ I needed?

Thanks guys!

2. BayouBengal macrumors regular

It kind of depends on what you need the computer to do. If you are an English major that is only going to need it for writing papers and research, then you don't need a lot of power. If you are a film student, well you need as much power as possible.

Me personally, would go with the best that you can afford so that it can be usable 4 or 5 years (at least until graduation) and then buy a newer model once you get a job out of college.