Selling my Rev. C 12" Powerbook - Price? (UK)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Piarco, Jan 27, 2005.

  1. Piarco macrumors 68030


    Jun 24, 2004
    Well I've had my 12" PB since October, and I've decided its time to let it go....
    So I can buy one of the new models due out! There was no way I was ever going to go back to windows, how could you even think it :D

    Anyway, the main justification for this is fairly simple. And no, its not for bragging rights on having the latest and greatest. Its simply because I actually want a superdrive, an option I thought I wouldn't want or need, but as it turns out, I burn more dvds than cds these days, and doing some editing would be handy and I hear iDVD is fantastic.

    So I have a mint condition (no marks/scratches anywhere) rev.c 1.33ghz, 60GB, AE/BT with 768MB (extra 512MB Crucial). I'd be selling it with a Tucano Second Skin (fancy getting a Vyper for the new 12") and a logitech aluminium laptop mouse. I'd consider pre-installing some of the software I have, but I think thats a wee bit illegal? Stuff like Office04, VPC, PhotoshopCS.

    Any ideas on the price? I was thinking around the £950-975 range, but I may be well out of spec...

    Apart from the obvious speedbumps, is there anything else of merit (rumoured) about the new 12"er? Increased HDD, backlite keyboard (please, please let it have a backlite keyboard! Pointless but coooool !!)
  2. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

    Feb 25, 2004

    For what it's worth:

    I just sold my Powerbook 12in on eBay. It's a revision B with the following specs:

    1GHz G4
    256mb RAM
    40gig HDD
    Airport Extreme

    yada yada, you know the deal. It also had a Tucano Second Skin case :)

    I put a Buy It Now price of £750 on it, and it sold. It's getting shipped off today to make financial room for a new Powermac G5!

    Hope that helps. I saw a rev C with 512mb RAM on eBay for a Buy It Now of £900, also.

    Good luck when it comes to packing it up and shipping it off; I cudda cried. Especially since I'd reformatted and put on a clean install, and performed all updates - there's nothing nicer than a pristine desktop and dock. It was just like booting it up for the first time! Arrrrgh!

    Edit: Incidentally, it was in absolutely mint condition also, with no dead pixels (unlike my cinema display :mad: )

  3. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

    Mar 19, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Just a thought, but as you are London based it might be worth checking out MR Systems in N1 (nearest tube is Highbury & Islington).

    MR Systems

    I bought my PowerBook 17" off them and they were very helpful, they're really geared for business clients (no public showroom for example) but they will deal with private individuals. They also have a zero dead pixel policy, if you buy off them and you find a dead pixel, they'll replace it no questions asked, which was why I bought off them in the first place. Oh and they have a good onsite support centre.

    Anyway, the reason I mention them is that I notice on their website they now say they have a trade-in policy. You tell them what machine you have and which one you would like and they'll quote you a price.

    I have no idea how attractive the deals would be but it's probably worth checking out as the reduced hassle factor is quite attractive.

  4. Piarco thread starter macrumors 68030


    Jun 24, 2004
    Hmmm, nice suggestion Vanilla! The zero dead pixel factor is a definate plus. It'll be worth contacting them just to see how much they'd offer me and when they'll be getting the latest revision in (when its announced!).

    _pb_boi, so its easy enough to update the PB after a restore before selling it.... will I have to go through the setup procedure to do it, or can I bypass that and get the updates, leaving the setup clean ready for the new owner?
  5. deebster macrumors 6502

    Oct 21, 2004
    Olde Englande
    I'm pretty sure you can bypass the setup procedure and still go on to update your pb, but I'm not sure exactly how you do this (and would like to know too).

    And if I were over there in Blighty I'd be very interested in your pb. Sadly I won't be there for maybe another month.

    If you've had no takers in a couple of weeks I may be in touch :)
  6. Mord macrumors G4


    Aug 24, 2003
    could you not just get an external superdrive or get a new internal one if your up to putting it in?

Share This Page