Selling my Sprint IPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by buzzcutt, Dec 10, 2014.

1. buzzcutt macrumors newbie

So I'm tired of sprint. Slow data can't unlock phone etc....I Have a iPhone on easy pay. I'm gonna sell it. My question is will I have any discrepancies from sprint?

2. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

You'll have to pay the device off. Otherwise it's gonna be very useless for the buyer

3. Ken Kaniff macrumors regular

..not to mention if you don't pay it off, you'll still be on the hook for the cost through the carrier.

4. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

This too. The carrier is going to charge you the price of your monthly installments. Or to pay off the device. Well your best case scenario is going to be breaking even.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

When Claure first introduced the iPhone for Life plan I begin to wonder just how many customers were going to experience the turn of happiness into rage and frustration once they found out how bad the network is in many places. And how long that was going to take. And just how many were going to leave.

Now it starts.

6. rigormortis, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

watch out for "iPhone for life"

if you terminate your agreement you must pay ALL future device payments

and then you have to either hand them your phone or you have to take their purchase option

so for example if i lease an iPhone 6 64 gb for $25 a month and i have 21 months left, i have to surrender my iPhone PLUS pay them $525

i guess the purchase option would be another $224

i am sick of people calling this deal a rental

going around and making sure all the various news sites telling you how bad the iPhone 4 life program is almost as futile of trying to destroy every last copy of Star Wars the Holiday Special

if i pay the future device payments plus take the purchase option, i bet i still won't get an unlock

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You will never get an unlock no matter how much you pay.

Sprint does not unlock for domestic use - ever.

8. rigormortis, Dec 11, 2014

rigormortis

sprint will grant you MSL unlocks. what ever that means.
    they published a new unlocking procedure a few months ago

they are working on making phones unlockable in February

it says so on their new unlocking policy

http://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html

however, prepaid brands are excluded and it spefically states that if you have an apple product you don't get one.

i believe the phrase , " all Apple iPhone devices, cannot be unlocked to accept a different domestic carrier's SIM for use on another domestic carrier's network. Sprint has no technological process available to do this. " to mean is you have to somehow erase and reflash a sprint iPhone with the other version's firmware, which as far as i know is impossible with itunes

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It means it's worthless to you. Apple does not use MSL codes. If you have anything else you might be able to use it. BTW, the MSL code for ALL iPhones regardless of model is 000000.
    Yes they did. And they expressly re-worded it so that it would make Sprint look like it was not their fault that devices are technically unlockable.

Yes. Devices PLANNED and MANUFACTURED after that date. If the device was PLANNED before the date, it doesn't count, even if it was manufactured AFTER the date.

Yes it does.

Show me where it says Sprint will activate any phone and where the other carriers say they will activate another carrier's phone? Everyone's all caught up in this but there is NOTHING out there that says another carrier will activate your phone on request. They might, but then they might not. What good does an unlocked Sprint phone do you if no one will activate it on their network?

You can't reprogram an iPhone. Not even if you are jailbroken. That's what makes MSL codes worthless.

You will note that it was Sprint that required device manufacturers (including Apple) to make their devices technologically unlockable. So, Sprint can say to you, the customer, that the device cannot be unlocked because it's technically impossible to do.

See how that works?

10. rigormortis, Dec 11, 2014

rigormortis

an unlocked tmobile phone 6/6+ will work on verizon.
    they won't activate it, but it is compatible as long as the sim is good and alive

i never said that the msl codes for an iPhone had any value

i do not understand why t-mobile is saying that sprint iPhone 5 phones are compatible and can be brought to t-mobile. perhaps you can find out why it says this on their web page
    http://www.t-mobile.com/bring-your-own-phone.html

that faq question about sprint phones on t-mobile should be taken down

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Right, as you say, the SIM has to have been activated previously on a Verizon device. But Verizon is like Sprint in that they will refuse to activate a device not branded for their network. But your workaround only works on Verizon.
    I know, I was clarifying and supporting your thought on the matter.

I don't know why this is either. For awhile, MR had a bunch of Sprint users wanting to take their iPhone 5's to T-Mobile and asking about unlocking here. I guess even T-Mobile doesn't get that Sprint iPhones can't be unlocked.

12. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I'm with Sprint and I agree about their data being slow. I'm getting out very soon myself once I acquire a 6. I would talk to Sprint and explain your situation to see if they could work something out where you're not losing a lot of money parting ways. They've been very accommodating with me in the past.

13. tritron macrumors regular

Is the sprint iphone 6 same as iphone in japan ? I heard sprint phons sold to japan fetch good price.

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's the same. The only difference is the model in Japan is unlocked completely.

A Sprint iPhone can only be international unlocked.