Selling new AT&T iphone X - conflicting information

tstarks33

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
I bought 2 iphone X's for me and GF. Despite my GF's love of animoji's, she didn't realize phone only came in the "too big" size, so, instead of returning it, I thought I'd make $100 or whatnot.

I've read through many threads on here about selling new phones, and the answers are all over the map, or so it seems. I even called AT&T, and they were next to no help.

My only question: When selling the phone, do I have to remove the sim card or anything, or can I just give the phone new in box to buyer? The phone was bought through my at&t account, paid in full.

I know this has been asked for various carriers over the last few days, but I can't seem to understand what I should do.

Thx!

hydro94530

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2015
I've never sold an iPhone without taking the SIM card out. It means taking the shrink wrap off but it's the best move. Can still sell it as new.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
When the phone is powered on if the sim card it shipped with is still in it it will be activated onto the line it was purchased on rendering your GFs phone inactive and someone else would have her number on the phone you sold.

unitedbit

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2017
I bought 2 iphone X's for me and GF. Despite my GF's love of animoji's, she didn't realize phone only came in the "too big" size, so, instead of returning it, I thought I'd make $100 or whatnot.

I've read through many threads on here about selling new phones, and the answers are all over the map, or so it seems. I even called AT&T, and they were next to no help.

My only question: When selling the phone, do I have to remove the sim card or anything, or can I just give the phone new in box to buyer? The phone was bought through my at&t account, paid in full.

I know this has been asked for various carriers over the last few days, but I can't seem to understand what I should do.

Thx!
WOW my question exactly. Everyone is saying something different. ***edit

iphonemonstah

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2017
I'm actually on the phone with AT&T now confirming this. So they said that you need to go to ATT.com/activations to activate the phone but I'm not sure how correct that is since most people say to take the SIM out first. In any event, maybe its safe to take SIM out first and then not activate via the link. But you also need to unlock the phone if you plan on selling (unless the other person has AT&T) which requires going to att.com/deviceunlock

tstarks33

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
I'm actually on the phone with AT&T now confirming this. So they said that you need to go to ATT.com/activations to activate the phone but I'm not sure how correct that is since most people say to take the SIM out first. In any event, maybe its safe to take SIM out first and then not activate via the link. But you also need to unlock the phone if you plan on selling (unless the other person has AT&T) which requires going to att.com/deviceunlock
Okay, just to confirm, it has to be unlocked only if it's going to a non-AT&T user?

Thanks for the replies everyone. It seems (SEEMS) that I have to remove the SIM, and then that's it. There are a bunch of other posts in other threads that say that's not necessary, but I guess I should just be safe rather than sorry.

unitedbit

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2017
Will the buyer of the phone not be prompted for some account information when they turn the phone on (like last four SSN). Without them having your info then they won't "have his gf's number"
[doublepost=1509556589][/doublepost]
Okay, just to confirm, it has to be unlocked only if it's going to a non-AT&T user?

Thanks for the replies everyone. It seems (SEEMS) that I have to remove the SIM, and then that's it. There are a bunch of other posts in other threads that say that's not necessary, but I guess I should just be safe rather than sorry.
But there lies the problem. The moment you open that box you're scaring away buyers and the $100 profit.

iphonemonstah

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2017

Yes correct. So if the seller has AT&T then you wouldn't need to. HOWEVER I'm not sure how you actually switch the phone over them. Like even if they have AT&T would they have the option to unlock themselves or not? I'm not sure on that since they didn't purchase the phone.

eoblaed

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2010

Thx!
Does she realize it's almost exactly the same physical size as the 8? Have her watch iJustine's video if she wants to see side by side comparisons:

09:52 she starts comparing the size between the X and the Plus, talking about how much better it feels in the hand, etc. At 10:40 she physically compares it to the 8. I would start the video at 09:52.

Reactions: Cascades42

tstarks33

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
I had no idea that the size was so similar. I get my case today - I will have to compare. Maybe she'll keep it afterall.

Bootleg Gucci

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
NoVA
If you're willing to open the iPhone X box and remove the included nano SIM, then OP should put a non-ATT sim in the IPX and power on to see if you get the carrier verification prompts and input the info.
IMG_0554.jpg IMG_0555.jpg

unitedbit

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2017
Can someone answer me this. If I sell a unopened iphone X bought outright through at&t and sell it will my current phone on that line be deactivated when they turn it on?

WolfSnap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
I posted this as a new thread for greater visibility, but, here it is again:

Ok, I keep seeing this over and over in the threads, and I keep seeing WRONG info being spread around. So, allow me to present my:

100% accurate, 100% complete, no nonsense guide to selling an iPhone you bought to sell.

This isn't a debate about whether you SHOULD be selling the phones, this is just information that will INEVITABLY help the buyer of your phone.
  1. If you bought your phone from Apple.com and had it SHIPPED to you, AND you paid full price:
    1. If the phone is T-Mobile, there's nothing special to do. Print a copy of the original invoice for the buyer so they can prove ownership, and sell the phone.
    2. If the phone is Verizon, Sprint or AT&T: **STOP** You can NOT sell it without first opening the box and turning on the phone, and completing the initial verification. Apple official support document https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203304 explaining the reasons...
      1. Also, once you complete the verification, the *now active SIM on your account* is the one in the new phone. Don't bother removing it first, it won't matter. The phone was sold as a replacement device on your account, and the carrier WILL swap the active SIM to the sim in the phone when it shipped. So, remove that SIM *AFTER* you've gone through the initial activation screen. Don't log into your iCloud account, etc, just skip all setup questions, then, go to Settings, General, Reset, Erase all Content and Settings. Once you've done that, turn the phone off, remove the SIM, package the phone back up, and sell it. Include a copy of the original invoice with the phone.
  2. If you bought your phone AT an Apple retail store, AND you paid full price:
    1. Sell the phone. Include a copy of the invoice with the phone.
  3. If you bought the phone from a Carrier store that ISN'T Verizon:
    1. You must first unlock the phone with your carrier.
    2. Then, sell the phone with a copy of the invoice.
  4. If you bought the phone FROM VERIZON:
    1. The phone is already unlocked. Sell it with a copy of the invoice.
  5. Bought the phone ANYWHERE ELSE?
    1. The phone follows the activation profile of how it was originally turned on. Ensure you FIRST install a Verizon SIM into the device, then power it on and activate it. Reset the phone after, and remove the Verizon SIM.
    2. If you boot the phone with an AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile or any other SIM, the phone WILL BE locked to that carrier. Unlock it first, then sell.
    3. Include a copy of the invoice with the phone.
I hope this helps.. This is from YEARS of experience, and carefully studying what happens when you buy iPhones in a variety of ways. This IS accurate, and failure to follow the directions WILL result in VERY upset buyers.

Reactions: sealos and AmexGG