Selling new MBA with Lion possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by melllvar, Aug 3, 2011.

1. melllvar macrumors regular

Hi

I have bought the new mba and was wondering what would happen if i wanted to sell it. AFAIK Lions and iLife are now tied to my MAS Account, right?

Does the new owner also get these licenses?!

2. iExpensive macrumors 6502

iExpensive

If you authorize that computer I believe they do.

3. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

Yes they are tied to your apple id. when you try to restore from recovery id it asks for apple id and if you have never purchaed a copy of lion not sure if it will deny the restore.

4. steve dave macrumors 6502a

This is not true. Machines that are sold with lion can be restored without an apple id. The copy of lion is tied to the machine, not an apple id. When you do a full restore it verifies that the machine is eligible for lion without ever asking for someone to log in.

On the same note, buying a machine with lion actually doesn't even associate lion with your apple account. Meaning, you can't buy a new air and then try to download lion on an older mac through the app store. You still have to buy a copy of lion for your other machines.

5. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

Ok good to know because when i did a restore from the restore partition before it started it asked me for my apple id. granted this is a 2008 mbp that i did this on.

6. melllvar thread starter macrumors regular

7. steve dave macrumors 6502a

ilife is the same premise.