Selling nonfunctioning phone on ebay

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rouxeny, Nov 7, 2010.

1. rouxeny macrumors 6502

I recently dropped my 2 month new iphone4 in the ocean. Needless to say, it doesn't work anymore. Pushing any combination of buttons does absolutely nothing. I see some people are able to successfully sell such non working examples on eBay, with full disclosure of course.

If I do, is there any possible way of the buyer recovering any of my data. Obviously, the phone wasn't wiped before I dumped it, but, I can't conceive that they'll ever get the phone working again.

Thanks

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can bring it to apple and get a replacement for $200

3. CZK, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

CZK macrumors 6502a

Yes you can sell it on ebay, you only need to clearly list damages ( ex: water damaged).

Your flash drive is still containing all informations, and yes it is totally recoverable and yes again people buying these will get it working again.

Everything has been said.
    ________
    FREE XXX

4. rouxeny thread starter macrumors 6502

I brought it to the Apple store, they were willing to give me another one.

IF i gave them $599.

No warranty, whether through AT&T, or applecare, covers water damage. My only chance would have been if my credit card had some sort of replacement plan, which unfortunately, that one didn't.

I suppose my data is still stored on the flash drive, and even while exposed to salt water, there may be a way to get stuff off of that.

Maybe I'll hang on to it for a while then.

5. CZK, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

CZK macrumors 6502a

Get your flash drive out and sell it w/o it (mention it in your ebay auction). Still better than 0 $.
    ________
    MARIJUANA VAPORIZERS

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Whoever you spoke to was misinformed. They will replace water damaged iPhones for $200. It's called an out of warranty replacement.
    Call AppleCare or bring it to an apple store.

7. rouxeny thread starter macrumors 6502

Applejuiced, you ROCK!

Called Applecare and they were all over it.

I bought Applecare for $69, which includes the $29 advance replacement plan. Could have just spent the $29, but now I'm nervous about this phone. The out of warranty repair service is $199.

So, Apple will ship me a new (possibly refurbished) phone by next day air, should arrive Tuesday, and I ship back my water damaged phone.

Total cost is less than half what I would have paid for a new phone.

Love MacRumors!

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nice, good luck with it.
    Keep it away from water:D

9. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

So hey just so I understand...you bought the AppleCare after the water damage? Just wanted to know in case my phone decides it needs a bath lol.

10. tnick777 macrumors regular

tnick777

Spint has water damage protection :rolleyes:

SPRINT+iPHONE=BEST EVAR.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

AT&T does too with optional insurance.
    It's too expensive monthly and there is still a deductible to pay for a replacement.
    Sprint is the worst provider and is losing subscribers each quarter.

12. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

If it was an iPhone 4 you wouldn't have needed the AppleCare. I just paid $199 flat for them to replace my sisters when it fell into the sink. You'll have two years of insurance now though, but it only covers the phone if it breaks on it's own. I think you can still ask for the AppleCare $69 refund, not for the $29 since that's for the quick replacement.

13. rouxeny thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, it's an iphone 4, and no, I didn't need applecare. It gave me a little bit of peace of mind though, although for all the times I've ever bought applecare before, I've never ever used it. Applecare does NOT cover wet phones. If you have Applecare and your phone gets wet, you will not get a free replacement, you'll be in the same situation I was/am in. Applecare really only covers if the phone spontaneously breaks. Honestly, I'm not totally convinced it's worth it, my GF and I have each had iphones basically since they came out, and none of the phones has ever had a problem that Applecare could have helped with. But, I got it, maybe I'm a sucker.

I could have just paid the $199 for a replacement phone. The $29 is for Apple to ship me a phone before I ship mine to them, that way I'm without a phone for the minimum amount of time. Without it, I presume I have to ship my phone to Apple, then wait for them to look at it, and then wait for them to ship me a replacement. If you have applecare, the $29 fee is waived.

I'm surprised that this isn't better known, in searching about what to do with a wet iphone, I didn't see much specifically about it. Maybe I didn't look hard enough.

Thanks everybody!