Selling old iphone to someone who doesnt want data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ARF900, Jul 11, 2010.

1. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

I tried making a thread on this before, but it failed, Im going to be more specific,

What I want to do is sell my old iphone 3g to someone who just wants an ipod touch, I will be doing this after I activate my ip4, so how should I go about doing this? The buyer wants to be able to sync the phone with his itunes library just like an ipod touch out of the box.

Should I restore?
    Do I HAVE to jailbreak?
    Should I give him the SIM or take it out?

2. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

It has to be activated in order to sync to iTunes but im not sure if jailbreaking it will help.

3. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

You need to give him the sim that was activated with the phone.

There's some guides around here that discuss it at length.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

No you don't and I would advise not handing over a sim card, deactivated or not as you may need it down the road.

OP: Either activate it with an active regular sim, get a sim adapter and use your microsim to activate it, or unlock the phone

5. rumorman69 macrumors regular

Nonsense. Op, you can just hacktivate the iPhone with something like Pwnagetool. No need for an at&t sim.

6. ARF900 thread starter macrumors 65816

ARF900

So there is now way for him to use the phone without activating it with AT & T or jailbreaking?

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

8. ARF900 thread starter macrumors 65816

ARF900

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Nonsense? lol, wasn't your suggestion one I also suggested when I said unlock the phone?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can give him an old inactive AT&T so he can activate it at any time and use it as an ipod touch.
    It wont unlock it or anything.
    Unless you want to JB and unlock it to use with any carrier.
    Up to you.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I was unable to use my ATT sim that was inactivated to activate my old iphone 3g when I got the ip4 and the mini sim

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I did it yesterday.
    All you do is leave the old inactive sim in and plug it to itunes after the restore.
    It will let the phone boot up to the homescreen and out of that emergency call screen with the itunes logo.
    It will then display waiting for activation but you can do everything else with it like use it as an ipod touch etc....

[​IMG]

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Interesting. Mine had a screen (on itunes) saying I needed to insert a sim before I could do anything in itunes in terms of syncing music and whatnot

Granted, I took out the sim while it was restoring. Perhaps that is what caused that mishap?

14. rumorman69 macrumors regular

Not really. Hactivation != unlocking. I'm sorry for being a bit of an arrogant d.ick with my reply though :) I just wasn't in a good mood :p

15. detroit1 macrumors regular

i feel like hes lying to you. hes gonna use it as a phone i think. why wouldnt he buy an ipod touch if all he wanted to do was listen to music? idk if you have tried or not but it seems like it would be easier to just sell it as a phone via craigslist

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, that was the problem.
    You didnt let it activate after the restore. When if first starts up leave the old simcard in while its still plugged into itunes.
    It will let you into the homescreen after that and let you sync your phone thru itunes etc.