Selling old iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iHavequestions, Sep 11, 2014.

1. iHavequestions macrumors regular

Looks like Amazon is the way to go for maximum cash back (or ebay but pretty close)... Is this correct?

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

eBay is always the highest due to the sheer volume of potential buyers for your phone. Just depends whether or not you feel like dealing with them and Paypal.

I usually prefer to sell mine on Craigslist and just get cash to be done with it.

3. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Craigslist all the way. It's a smaller market and less demand, so you get better prices. Just meet in public and you'll be fine.

4. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

eBay will always get you the most money. You just mail it out and you're done. No need to meet some jackass flake off Craigslist. Craigslist if full of low-ballers and shady people. Meeting in a "safe" or public place is nonsense. People could follow you until you're no longer in a safe place and take their money back, or worse.

5. ame8199 macrumors 6502

if you sell on ebay, be smart. take pictures with dates of everything in working order, take pictures of your serial number, the condition of the phone. Be diligent! Just incase someone tries to scam you . You can't be too careful.

Get tracking and possibly a signature when you're shipping

Technically I didn't make money, but I like to think that Ive made money off the two iPhones I've sold on ebay. Ive bought them on contract for 199, and normally make 200-300 on the phone on ebay. Im sure I could have gotten more, but I use Buy it now and they normally sell within the first day I have it posted.

6. GeniusJon macrumors regular

You have clearly never sold anything on Craigslist before, have you... :rolleyes:

7. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I use a combination of Craigslist and eBay when selling my iPhones. When I sell on eBay I always make a video of myself packing the iPhone while it's in working order just in case someone tries to claim I sent them a dud. Haven't had to use one of my videos yet, but better to be safe than sorry.

Sometimes I use Craigslist to sell them. When I take this route I always meet at the person's bank that way they don't have to carry around a large sum of cash and I don't have to worry about the payment being shady. I also tend to meetup when I have to run errands anyway so I'll be out in public for a while before I go home.

Both methods have their pros and cons. Just have to weigh out your options and safeguard yourself first.