Selling old MBA with OSx Lion upgrade, how do I include the upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by spinedoc77, Sep 7, 2011.

1. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I've got a 2nd gen Macbook Air and I recently purchased the OSx upgrade and installed it under my Apple account. My wife is getting me a new Air and I'd like to sell the old one and figured it would be worth a bit more if I advertised it as having the latest OSx. Now how do I transfer ownership of this OS upgrade to the new owner? I don't want to give him my username/password in case he ever needs to redownload it.

Anyone know of a way to transfer this to the new owner?

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Don't think you can transfer, so if buyer needed to reformat, he either goes back to Snow or needs a valid purchase login.

Big picture, though, you wrote including it is worth more. It is only 30 new so not sure how much extra you'll receive.

3. fatefulwhisper macrumors regular

Unfortunately, there's no way. The new owner will have to purchase Lion themselves. According to apple:

Source: http://www.tuaw.com/2011/07/29/dear-aunt-tuaw-if-i-sell-my-old-mac-does-lion-go-with-it/

4. Obsidiank macrumors newbie

I just did this. I reinstalled lion fresh and gave the guy the laptop and the lion installer on dvd. it doesn't validate against itunes that you bought lion

5. WilliamG macrumors 604

You just illegally sold that software, fyi.

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

No way of doing this without giving them your Apple ID and password. You could however offer them a $30 iTunes/App card to cover the upgrade to Lion. That should help keep the offers higher.