Selling on craigslist, should I give out the serial # upon request?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JReynolds, Jul 22, 2010.

1. JReynolds macrumors 6502

I'm selling my wife's Black iPhone 4 on craigslist so she can get the white one when it comes out, $600.

I have an interested buyer but he wants the serial number so he can "know how long the phone is under warranty...from that I can get to know when the phone was purchased..."

Is there anything malicious he could do with a serial #?

Should I give it to him?

Thanks

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It isn't like they are going to call Apple, switch the info on the phone and cash in the AppleCare on you.

More likely run a SN check on the Apple site.

3. ihonda macrumors 68000

could report it stolen.. take a screen shot of the page showing how long is left with half the serial blurred out

4. Greenman1 macrumors newbie

we still don't know how Apple will be handing out the free bumpers, they might go by serial number (and keep a record so they know only to give out 1 per phone).

I would be cautious before handing out the serial number..just in case. You never know what kind of scams there are out there. The phones are under warranty for 1 year I believe, right? The receipt should be a clear indication for the buyer to know when the phone was purchased.

Be careful with craigslist, a LOT Of scammers and shady people, I would only accept CASH for the phone, anything else and the buyer can go take a hike.

5. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the QUICK responses!

I think I'll just tell him when I bought it, no need to give him the SN

6. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

don't do it!!!!! not saying he will but he could definitely report it stolen and get it bricked!!!

and the phone has only been on sale for a month...it's safe to assume that you have 11 more months right?

7. TXLady macrumors newbie

It's not like it's a Verizon phone that you have to call and verify can be activated on Verizon. And it's not like you could have had it for 6 months and be trying to palm it off as brand new. I wouldn't do it.

8. Stoj macrumors member

Go here.

Enter SN.

Click on "See full coverage details"

Take screenshot.

Blank out most of the SN.

Email screenshot.

Profit?

9. thatoneguy92088 macrumors member

The SN is not a big deal, even if the buyer did call and got a phone he wanted to buy bricked, I assume OP has the receipt and this could be straightened out easily.

10. iPadztr macrumors 6502

still a hassle and inconvenient for the seller. Why risk it? do what others said. Take a screenshot and send it to him. The iPhone 4 just came out less than a month ago.

11. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

The phone hasn't even been out for more than a month. I don't see why he needs the serial number.

12. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

He might try and get the free bumper, I say dont give nobody serial # uNDASTAND?

13. iTouch macrumors 6502

I would tell the buyer that the iPhone 4 has not been out that long and warranty should not be an issue. And I agree with the above poster that someone might try to get a free bumper from you.

14. headcheese macrumors regular

How are you going to get the white one? Wouldn't you need to get a 2nd line of service?

15. bigtrip macrumors newbie

It's a scam. I had someone from eBay try to get the serial # from a 3G I was selling and it sounded shady so I googled it. Apparently there is a way to swap a legit serial # into an iPhone that has been reported stolen. Not sure how it works, but it is a common scam now. I told the guy "for the eventual buyer's protection I didn't feel comfortable giving it out." Within an hour I received an email from eBay saying that I had been conversating with an account that was suspected of being hacked and any correspondence with that account was not
    Safe.

16. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not looking for a profit, just break even and purchase the white 16GB for $600 tax free for the wife.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

When I was selling my jailbroken and unlocked 3GS on eBay, someone asked me for the serial number but I ignored his email because he had zero feedback.

18. KentuckyApple macrumors regular

KentuckyApple

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Profit...

19. bholaladka macrumors regular

may be he can score a free bumper using SN if apple decides to use SN to give out free bumpers :eek: