Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oldmanmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Edmond, OK
I am wanting to sell my 2011 iMac. eBay seems to be a lot of work shipping and all.
Can anyone suggest a good way to do this? Seeing that it will need a power source (vs macbook/air) is there a safe place?

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
So you mean a safe place to meet up, then?

I've only ever conducted one transaction on Craigslist. Went to a guy's house to buy an amplifier. No issues. Seems like if you wanted to meet someplace in public where (I'm assuming) you would want to plug in and fire up a desktop computer, maybe you could bring it into an internet cafe or something. An iMac is only a single power cord, shouldn't be a big problem.

Sailingluv

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2016
I am wanting to sell my 2011 iMac. eBay seems to be a lot of work shipping and all.
Can anyone suggest a good way to do this? Seeing that it will need a power source (vs macbook/air) is there a safe place?

There have been several Craigslist killings, both buyer and seller. I know to meet in a public place, but this isn't a laptop, it's a desktop.

I thought someone had an idea that they would share.

I've sold a ton of things on CL without a problem including computers and tech stuff. Large items (freezer), need to be picked up at my home. As a single female, I just always had a friend around at the time.

Most times I meet people (from CL) at a public place for anything that fits in the car. The times I sold two different iMacs (one 21" and one 27"), I met them at the Apple store. The genius bar was happy to wipe and reset the iMacs for me (which I was fully capable of doing...just wanted to meet the buyer at the store)...the buyer saw it running there with the fresh start screen and money was exchanged outside the store in the mall area. Simple. I told the genius bar I was selling them...was buying a new macbook pro with the proceeds (not that day, but, later). Everyone was happy. Again, money (out of politeness to the store), should be exchanged outside the store in the common area of the mall.

The old macbook pro I had, the CL buyer wanted to give me a certified check. Still being leary and not being the fool...I met him at my bank...told the teller what was going on...she confirmed the check was valid and cleared...I gave the guy my computer.

I've sold iPhones, vacuum cleaners, rugs...the list goes on. Most people I've met at a very busy gas station with plenty of people. You shouldn't let a few weird things scare you from living life, millions of CL transactions take place every day. Just be smart...have others around.

Last edited:

reundo

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2014
I've sold a ton of things on CL without a problem including computers and tech stuff. Large items (freezer), need to be picked up at my home. As a single female, I just always had a friend around at the time.

Most times I meet people (from CL) at a public place for anything that fits in the car. The times I sold two different iMacs (one 21" and one 27"), I met them at the Apple store. The genius bar was happy to wipe and reset the iMacs for me (which I was fully capable of doing...just wanted to meet the buyer at the store)...the buyer saw it running there with the fresh start screen and money was exchanged outside the store in the mall area. Simple. I told the genius bar I was selling them...was buying a new macbook pro with the proceeds (not that day, but, later). Everyone was happy. Again, money (out of politeness to the store), should be exchanged outside the store in the common area of the mall.

The old macbook pro I had, the CL buyer wanted to give me a certified check. Still being leary and not being the fool...I met him at my bank...told the teller what was going on...she confirmed the check was valid and cleared...I gave the guy my computer.

I've sold iPhones, vacuum cleaners, rugs...the list goes on. Most people I've met at a very busy gas station with plenty of people. You shouldn't let a few weird things scare you from living life, millions of CL transactions take place every day. Just be smart...have others around.

Similar experience with craigslist. I have sold multiple computers, phones, and cars on craigslist. My favorite place to meet is at a Starbucks. I usually buy a small drink then since I used their facility.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
When I bought my MBP off Craigslist we met at the police station - the kid's step-dad was a policemen. Everybody felt safe.

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
My one and only attempt at selling a Mac on Craigslist was a complete disaster. I arranged to meet the buyer at the public library on a Saturday morning. I waited for the better half of the day for the seller to arrive (via Greyhound from Milwaukee). He never showed and never responded to my voicemails/texts. On a whim I walked over to the bus station which was only about 1 block from the library. My intention was to see if there was a delay with the bus. Much to my surprise when I walked into the lobby, there were a couple of guys talking and one referred to the other by the buyers name. I interrupted and asked if he was the buyer and he said yes. He then went on to tell me he had lost his cell phone and forgot to bring money. Seriously, who buys a bus ticket for a 3 hour trip to buy a computer and doesn't bring cash? He told me he had to go back to Milwaukee, but could come up the next day. At that point I called shenanigans on the whole thing.

A week later I sold the iMac to a co-worker and have never even considered Craigslist again.

merkinmuffley

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2010
I've sold an IMac and MBP on Craigslist, no problems at all. We met at Starbucks, I had the IMac in the car along with it's box. Brought it in, set it up, connected it to their WI-FI so the buyer could see it worked ok. Done deal. They're not that hard to move. MBP was obviously easier, but same sort of deal done at Starbucks.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I've been selling and buying on Craigslist since probably 2000. Never had an issue.

Just be smart. Never go to anyone's house. Never bring people to your house. Always meet at a public safe location. If you are the seller. You choose the location and always have the buyer come to you. No meeting half way. Call me when you're 10 minutes away. Then I leave.

For an iMac or device that needs to be plugged in. Try a Starbucks as the person above said. Only once that I can recall and years ago, but I did that.

ValiumEater

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2015
I've been selling and buying on Craigslist since probably 2000. Never had an issue.

Just be smart. Never go to anyone's house. Never bring people to your house. Always meet at a public safe location. If you are the seller. You choose the location and always have the buyer come to you. No meeting half way. Call me when you're 10 minutes away. Then I leave.

For an iMac or device that needs to be plugged in. Try a Starbucks as the person above said. Only once that I can recall and years ago, but I did that.

Same here, meet at a coffee shop or something, or a bank.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

The lobby of your local police precinct? I've met sellers and buyers there several times... never for anything that required an electrical outlet... but it's safe - tells the other party that you're legit, and scares off the scumbags that would set out to rip you off (or worse).

Got the idea from my son, the cop. He said it happens all the time at his precinct.

merkinmuffley

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2010
Sold 2 Air's and a MBP on CL - all went fine. I meet at Starbucks, they have good WI-fI and it's public enough I feel safe. I suppose you could do that with your IMac, set it up, plug it in and show the buyer it works ok. I DO NOT buy their overpriced coffee.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
The lobby of your local police precinct? I've met sellers and buyers there several times... never for anything that required an electrical outlet... but it's safe - tells the other party that you're legit, and scares off the scumbags that would set out to rip you off (or worse).

Got the idea from my son, the cop. He said it happens all the time at his precinct.
There's where I bought my MacBook Pro. The kid's step-father was a cop so meeting at the police station was a great place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.