selling on ebay or craigslist?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by butters149, Jul 19, 2010.

1. butters149 macrumors 6502

Dec 22, 2009
    so ebay takes about 9% for the final value fee, or a maximum of $50, and paypal takes another 3%? And with all the scams going on with the buyer claiming the box is empty, isn't it easier to sell on craigslist for a cheaper price? And meet the guy in front of a police station or something?

Also should I activate it first and take the sim out? or leave it in and never open the box.
  2. PUCCY macrumors regular

Feb 18, 2008
    If you decide to choose eBay.

Make sure you specify that you will only ship to addresses confirmed by Paypal.

Someone with a certain amount of Positive Feedback (50+).

Limit the destinations. I would stick with US only. Maybe Canada and some parts of Europe (western Europe).

Specify that you will only ship express to provide a confirmation number + have the person receiving the item sign for the package.
  3. ohla313 macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2010
    You should activate first and then send it cause they need the sim to activate it first to use. Also craigslist is way easier to deal with. I mean you'll get your share of annoyances but no one dips into your pockets to take your money!

I was selling my iPhone 3G 8GB and went to meet the kid to sell to and we agreed on $200 but he lowballed as soon as we got there and offered 150 and only would sell for 190. I left, you got to stick with the price you agreed on.
  4. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Jan 14, 2008
    Craigs List -

In Person - at a public place such as a McDonalds

CASH ONLY !!!!!

If it is a lot of cash, and the guy might have large bills take a Money Pen and stroke the cash to make sure it is real.

Office Supply places have the pens.
  5. ktex1968 macrumors member

Jun 16, 2010
    Craigslist for me (in Houston) was so easy. I listed my 3GS at 3:30PM last Thursday and sold it in 1.5 hours.
  6. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

Dec 8, 2009
  7. j3yq macrumors 6502

Dec 16, 2007
    I find CL a lot easier, just take the safety precautions and you will be good..
  8. maflynn Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    Personally, I'd go with craigslist.
    I just sold my phone that way, it was cash only and in person only. I stated that on the sale, but that didn't stop some scammers.

Still, you don't have to worry about fees, paypal and issues with shipping. What you see is what you get and when you get it, its cash baby. :D
  9. michalko.j macrumors member

Sep 15, 2008
    If you wanted $300 profit using both ebay and paypal, you need to sell for almost $355. This includes $10 for shipping and ebay's listing fees (<$1). I recently had this same dilemma and busted out the ti-89 to figure it out. My vote is for Craigslist.
  10. Focker macrumors member

Feb 24, 2010

Another vote here for craigslist. I listed my 3G on craigslist and sold it about an hour later. I met the guy at a Starbucks right up the road. Cash only is the way to go.