Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
USA
Hi guys. Well, just a couple days ago, my iPod 4G 30GB Photo died. I'm sure it's the hard drive. I could hear the whining sound of it spinning down and I get the sad iPod screen. About a week ago, my iPod starting becoming problematic again, and I usually had to reset it a couple times to allow it to actually work.

So, what I want to ask about is eBay privacy. I'll probably sell the broken iPod on eBay, as they seem to go for around $40 (a lot more than I expected). However, I have my entire music library and picture back-ups on there, as well as personal contact information. I know that the hard drive is broken, but if it someone "came back to life" again, I wouldn't want the random buyer to have all of that personal stuff (pictures, phone numbers, addresses, etc). It also won't show up in iTunes or as a drive.

Should I be worried about giving out personal information by selling on eBay? Is there any other steps I could try to recover the iPod? It's out of Applecare (as of April) and this iPod is a replacement Apple gave me for my old iPod that had yet another hard drive failure in December.

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
I don't think it's a problem in most cases. But it CAN be. I would never sell something that I've had personal information on without completely wiping the memory/disk.
I don't know how easy it is to remove the HDD from the iPods. But that would be a good idea if it's possible.

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
USA
To Scarlet Fever & rainydays, thanks for the advice. However, I'd rather not open the iPod so any other opinions are welcomed.

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
Seems very simple to remove the HDD. Perhaps you'd like to simply get a new drive instead of selling it?

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
USA
Seems very simple to remove the HDD. Perhaps you'd like to simply get a new drive instead of selling it?

I just looked at the guide and you're right. I also really have nothing left to lose. Now, if I buy a new hard drive for it, do I just put that in and then reformat in iTunes?

geoffy

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007
I just looked at the guide and you're right. I also really have nothing left to lose. Now, if I buy a new hard drive for it, do I just put that in and then reformat in iTunes?

Installing a new hard drive isn't really worth it. You are probably better off getting a new refurb ipod from Apple. In some countries you can even get a discount on a refurb ipod with a broken out of warranty ipod.

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
IMO, I don't think it would be a problem. If the person got it fixed, they probably wouldn't care about the pictures and phone numbers, but then again there are some freaks out there. I have bought 4 ipods on ebay and three of them had files and such on them, just reformatted them when I got them. I think most people who buy the broken ones have ones they are more worried about fixing then stealing files, and or stalking people. But I guess I would sleep better also if I was sure my files were wiped and not out in the wild.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.