Selling original iPhone on Ebay to International bidders?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by msmith2112, Jul 22, 2008.

1. msmith2112 macrumors 6502

msmith2112

I'm thinking of selling my original iPhone and upgrading to the 3G since they are still fetching a pretty decent price.

I'm seeing that most bidders are not in the US (which makes sense). For those of you who have already sold your iPhone through Ebay, did you have any problems with International buyers? Should I restrict to only US, or is it no big deal?

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

make suer if offering "buy it now" to require immediate payment, in order to stop nigerian scammers trying to buy it, as you then have to wait 10 days before reporting it as payment not received, or wait until they delete their fake account

3. WHM macrumors regular

It's easy if you request payment with PayPal.... send a PayPal invoice and you have your money before your iPhone is shipped. I sold one and shipped to the Netherlands and the buyer was more happy when he received it than I was for selling it for more than I paid for it!

4. mac'inmama macrumors regular

I sold mine internationally. First, though, I made the mistake of offering a Buy it Now without the "immediate payment" and never got payment the first time it ended. I also couldn;t leave negative feedback for them because sellers cannot anymore unfortunately. The second time around, I wised up and made immediate payment necessary.

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I've sold about 30 iPhones on eBay and i have the best advise anyone can give you:

Make sure you do an auction for 1 day only.
    Make sure you start out the bidding between .99 cents and $9.99
    Make sure you do international and not just domestic, you'll probably get about 70% more buyers interested.

Putting your listing and bold and a sub title is great. If your phone is in great condition, make sure you put "perfect condition" in the headline. In the subtitle say something like "international buyers welcome" in caps.

Don't be discouraged if there isn't much action for a few hours. All the action starts usually a couple hours before the auction closes. Avoid all messages asking for a price to buy it. Doing a buy it now is kind of useless, because you will get more money in the bidding process than what you think you will. Use plenty of big pictures of your phone and put your name by the picture.

Do all that and you can pocket some good money. Keep in mind i sold my very old iPhone for $400 and it was a 4GB, 2 weeks before the new one came out.

6. spinkick macrumors newbie

Beware the scammers. Make sure you only ship to the paypal verified addresses. Personally, I will not touch international shipping. Make sure that they do a "buy it now" with immediate payment so that the scammers wont take forever.

7. msmith2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

msmith2112

Thanks everybody! I'll let you guys know how I do, if I decide to do it.