Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsquared

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
Nashvegas, TN
Yes, follow the posts I made above.
If you dont have your SHSH's you wont be able to restore to anything but 4.0
Or wait a few more days and you can update your phone, JB and unlock to the latest 4.0 firmaware.

Juiced you are the man, and I'm in the same boat as the OP so let me just double check:

-If run the backup through iTunes will I get all my crap back when I get my new iPhone 4? Phone numbers, etc...
-Cydia tells me my device has SHSHs on file for 3.1.3
-Do I need to download the 3.1.2 IPSW you posted? Or is there a 3.1.3 somewhere? I guess it doesn't matter right?
-Then edit the host file
-DFU Mode
-Hold shift and click restore to the downloaded IPSW
-Then run blackra1n to jailbrake and unlock

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Ok, it was an easy fix.
Now it works on mine also.
Follow this:
The solution for this is simple, you will need to place the Blackra1n executable in the Apple folder under Common files in Program Files. The folder would be located in the following locations:

32 Bit – C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support

64 Bit – C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support

Once you copy the blackra1n executable to the above folder, create a shortcut for it on the desktop
and double-click it to run it as usual.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Juiced you are the man, and I'm in the same boat as the OP so let me just double check:

-If run the backup through iTunes will I get all my crap back when I get my new iPhone 4? Phone numbers, etc...
-Cydia tells me my device has SHSHs on file for 3.1.3
-Do I need to download the 3.1.2 IPSW you posted? Or is there a 3.1.3 somewhere? I guess it doesn't matter right?
-Then edit the host file
-DFU Mode
-Hold shift and click restore to the downloaded IPSW
-Then run blackra1n to jailbrake and unlock

1. Yes
2. if you have SHSH just for 3.1.3 you will only be able to restore to that so download this restore file instead:
http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...00202.8tugj/iPhone2,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw
Then edit the hosts, enter DFU etc....
3. you will need to run spirit to JB. blackrain doesnt work for 3.1.3
Go to http://spiritjb.com/
Then install ultrasnow from cydia if you wish to unlock.

jsquared

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
Nashvegas, TN
1. Yes
2. if you have SHSH just for 3.1.3 you will only be able to restore to that so download this restore file instead:
http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...00202.8tugj/iPhone2,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw
Then edit the hosts, enter DFU etc....
3. you will need to run spirit to JB. blackrain doesnt work for 3.1.3
Go to http://spiritjb.com/
Then install ultrasnow from cydia if you wish to unlock.

Thank you for all your help, I know you don't have to help out. I (and I'm sure the OP) really appreciate it

digitalduck

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Got it working... had to put it in my common files/apple/Apple Application Support fodler which had all of the missing dll files anyway! who knew!! so no no matter what i do cydia etc he can sync because i left it as new...correct?

digitalduck

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Juiced, wanted to follow-up with a big thank you. My phone is now back on 3.1.2wiht cydia and a few extras, still left as new so he shoudl sync just fine..man hat is pretty cool wiht the signatures being stores on cydia..I "signed up" like two some years ago from my touch and then to my phone who knew it would come in handy finally now...going to sell today.got too late last night lol

thanks man!!!

Oskee2001

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
Thanks for these great tips...I am in a similar situation with my 3G. Quick question, though.

Alternatively, could one simply sync up the phone without any of the contacts, music, photos, apps, etc., and then simply use iWipe from Cydia to zero out the free space?

detroit1

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
thanks for the help! i sold my phone to a guy from germany who needed to switch out sims on the go and it worked :D. you guys are the best

digitalduck

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Apple, youll be happy to know i sold the 16gb 3GS yesterday afternoon for $450 (seriously) thanks to a good restore, jb and unlock and a great craigs list post I had ... so waitingfor my iphone 4 today :) thanks again

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Apple, youll be happy to know i sold the 16gb 3GS yesterday afternoon for $450 (seriously) thanks to a good restore, jb and unlock and a great craigs list post I had ... so waitingfor my iphone 4 today :) thanks again

Wow, thats great.
I hope I can get that much for my 16GB 3GS soon after my iphone 4 lands.
Hook me up with that great CL post :D

Makaveli6103

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
Kansas City, MO
I am adding my old 3GS to my plan and letting my friend use it. She is from Canada and in school in the US, so she cannot get a plan by herself I am going to the store this sat to change my account. Will they just give me a SIM card then I can go home restore my iPhone back to 3.1.2 with the instructions previous mentioned then activate it or how does it work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.