Selling phones so early?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by azsprty, May 13, 2010.

1. azsprty macrumors 6502

I see lots of people selling their iPhones now and not even sure when the new one comes out, hoe much etc. Why the premature selling?

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Because we are fairly certain a new one will arrive mid-June.

3. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

A lot of people will be selling their old phones when the new one comes out.. so the people selling now are getting more money since the market isn't flooded with everyone selling their old ones yet.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Besides the other posts, the iPhone 3GS will go down significantly in price unless it is or can be unlocked.

5. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

Because there will be a new iPhone coming out and come June 7th when it's announced the whole world will know and everyone and their mommas will be trying to get rid of their current iPhone flooding craigslist/ebay. So i'd rather sell now and get the most I can. I actually just sold my iphone 2g 16gb for $260 tonight to a local buyer. I think that's pretty darn good for a phone 2+ year old phone.

6. -Leigh- macrumors regular

Some people are crazy.

Selling your phone a month before the new one is announced, and having to use a second phone for that month, just to make a couple more bucks.

If I get the new one, I will buy it and then maybe sell my 3GS. Or just keep it in a drawer for emergencies. It's too much hassle selling it.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Mostly because they astutely realize that they'll get the most for their phone now then if they tried to sell it in June.

supply and demand, apple will have a new iPhone out by June/July and so the market for 3Gs will be saturated, driving the price down. If you can make due w/o an iphone for a month or so, why not.

8. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

This is why I just sold my iPod Touch - once Steve does the unveiling most folks are going to figure out that the new iPod Touch in September is going to have most of what is shown.

My iPod Touch is funding my iPhone or HTC Incredible purchase (more than likely iPhone).

9. Alienrat macrumors newbie

Is it a problem getting it unlocked in the states then? In the UK you just request and unlock on O2s website then a couple of days later (it says up to 28, mine was 2 days) you get a message telling you it is unlocked.

Then I put another sim in it and it worked fine.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm on the fence for the Incredible. It really depends on how much AT&T is going to charge me for the new iPhone and what features apple provides. Given the leaks recently (gizmodo+Vietnam) I don't think I'll be disappoint in the features of the new iPhone, so it all boils down to ATT.

I really like what the incredible has, it look likes a slight improvement to the Nexus One

11. phrint macrumors 6502

At the end of the day, the choice for me will be between the new iPhone and HTC EVO. I think that is the better comparison and I think the EVO is the most compelling Android device to pull me away from the iPhone. I have played with my wife's Droid and I would still pick my 3GS at the end of the day. The EVO may be another story altogether.

I typically make the switch and then sell my phones on eBay. Selling first is only a setup for failure.

12. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Its been a LONG time since I've had a Sprint phone - my assumption would be ATT had better coverage but that could be dead wrong. The EVO looks SWEET - that much is true. But how many have bought the 2 year service contract because of the device and regretted it?

13. phrint macrumors 6502

Coverage was is the name of the game. I am in Ohio and Sprint seems to have the same areas covered as AT&T. I only travel within the midwest for business and everything seems okay. Neither is up to Verizon's standard but I have been dealing with AT&T since 07 and have definitely noticed an improvement since I left them in 1999. AT&T's 3G coverage is not that great outside of the major metro areas in Ohio. Sprint's seems to have that covered but I am only looking at the maps. I have not heard too many complaints with Sprint as opposed to AT&T.

14. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

Too much of a hassle to sell it? :rolleyes: and by waiting till the new one comes out to sell yours, you are gambling losing $50-150 easily which isn't a "couple more bucks". That is all.

15. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Crazy? Wanting to try and make a few more bucks on your item is crazy? Hmmmm, you must be loaded, I think the "joe averages" like myself wouldn't mind the extra $50-$100 for our phones.....can i borrow your ego and gold crown?:rolleyes:

16. bigchief macrumors 6502a

The 3gs has been out for almost a year and I'm looking on ebay and the 3g 8gb is sell for over $200. A 3gs 32gb, like I have, is selling for much more than I paid for it on opening day last year. I don't think you should be in any hurry selling your phone.

17. midge50 macrumors newbie

Let's look at this.

Folks want to the new super duper Iphone. They want it bad for all the features.

But, they also can live without ANY iphone for a month or so.

If it me, or do these two statements contradict each other - do they really even need an iphone, none less the latest, greatest?

Personally, I am lucky. My brother upgraded to the 3GS and my wife got his old iphone sitting in the drawer!

18. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Just sold my 32GB 3GS for $500 :D

I do this every year at this time.

Using a dumb phone, but I don't mind it. In front of a laptop most of the time, anyway.

19. vilasgn macrumors regular

Sold my 32 GB Black 3GS Unlocked for $625 on craigslist! Last year same time sold my 16GB Black 3G for $425! :)