Selling Prep Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UPBaylor, Sep 30, 2014.

1. UPBaylor macrumors member

Long time lurker here and just now registered to start asking a few questions as I'm about to upgrade to the 13" MBP. (btw - Thanks for all the valuable info on this site!!)

How do you prep a Mac to sell? What's a reasonable way to wipe the hard drive and all personal identifiers, etc. I'm assuming you leave OSX. I would like to kind of develop a checklist and wanted some expert advice.

I've never sold a computer before and my current old Macbook (2009) is probably not worth it to me to sell, but I might. But, I'm seriously thinking of selling my (just purchased, not delivered yet) MBP next year or two when the next generation arrives and continuing on that cycle since MBP's seem to hold significant value.

Thanks for any advice!

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Boot to the recovery partition and use Disk Utilities to do a DoD (7 passes) wipe of the drive. Clean it using a microfiber cloth and some water.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

4. UPBaylor thread starter macrumors member

Ok, stupid question, but what does "Boot to the recovery partition" mean and how is it accomplished? (I do know what the recovery partition is though.)

Thanks for the responses! I thought it had to be pretty easy, but just wasn't sure.

5. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

If you read the article that Weaselboy linked in his response, you'd know. It gives step by step instructions for OS X Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks.