Selling previous year's phone in UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tsg20, Aug 29, 2015.

1. tsg20 macrumors member

I used to live in the US, and for a few years I resold the previous year's phone on Craigslist and upgraded, which worked out OK. Then moved to the UK, and kept on to iPhone 4 for 4 years until last year, when I bought an unlocked iPhone 6 outright. Have now decided to go back to annual upgrades, so I need to sell the 6 in a few weeks.

Is Gumtree the answer, or are there any trade-in companies that are remotely competitive? I'm happy to have a bit of hassle if the difference is £100s (and I live/work in central London, so I imagine there is a reasonable market), but I don't know if it's possible to get almost as much money for less effort.

2. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I use sellmymobile.com

Gives you all the best places for your devices with different companies

3. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

I've used gumtree to sell my phones in the past. You have to deal with loads of muppets asking if it is still available and what is your best price. You will get loads of scammers texting you asking you to reply to their email so don't.

For that reason I don't put my phone number in the advert. If people are serious about buying it they don't mind emailing about it. Also meet in a public place in case you get some scumbag trying to rob your phone. It has happened to me but luckily I was able to teach him the error of his ways. Unfortunately he fell on the ground several times landing on my foot. Ironically in the scuffle before he ran away his wallet fell out of his pocket and it had over £230 in it. I love karma.

4. SpasticPat macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

I use swappa.com. They only charge like $10 to the seller and that's it.

5. CasuallyDressed macrumors regular

CasuallyDressed

Last year, a few days before the launch of the iPhone 6, both me and the gf sold our iPhone 5. Both 64gb, both space grey. Differences being that mine was near immaculate with untouched earpods, sync cable and charger, while hers was a bit scuffed, had no earpods and used sync cable and charger. Both came with original box and a selection of cases. I sold mine on eBay (auction), she sold hers on Gumtree.

I got £197. She got £250.

I'll be selling my iPhone 6 on Gumtree, for sure.

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Last year I sold my iPhone 5s 16gb back to my local Apple Store and got £250.

They put the funds on a gift card and then used that to pay towards my iPhone 6 Plus.

CEX also buy and sell but to be honest don't give the best return.