Selling Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by qwerty546, Aug 21, 2007.

1. qwerty546 macrumors member

I have had my mb for about 3 1/2 months now and was wondering if there is some way I could trade it in or get some kind of partial refund from Apple if I were to buy the new mbp. Does anyone have any selling advice if apple doesnt do that kind of thing?

2. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

Apple doesn't do trade ins. Ebay or Craigslist is always an option to sell.

3. iSwitchd macrumors member

I'd be careful going the ebay route.

There are SOOO many scams going around now, and not even just "scams". People abuse Paypal as well. They'll send you your payment, you send the item...they report to Paypal that they never received the item...paypal RETURNS their money to them until the matter is sorted out.

I no longer buy/sell high dollar items on ebay. I like my hard earned money a little more secure than being ripped by Nigerians.

4. qwerty546 thread starter macrumors member

then where do you suppose i could sell my 3 1/2 month macbook and how much do you think i could get for it?

5. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Depends on the specs.

Since you don't have 100 posts, you can't sell here on MR. It seems the best route people have been going lately for unloading their Macbooks is Craigslist. Cash, face to face, no fees, etc.

6. qwerty546 thread starter macrumors member

well my macbook is about 3 1/2 months old. 2gb of RAM, 2.16 ghz processor and 160 gb hardrive and in good condition. it also has iwork 08 installed on it so what would be a fair price to sell that at?

7. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

Agreed - happened to me. My "buyer" (from what I can gather from the little info paypal would give me) most likely used a stolen credit card.

allison.

8. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Wait a minute, what does that mean? You are out a computer? What is the point of using paypal if they can easily reverse the charge?

9. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

A little to much paranoia and reading or hearing about a few isolated problems does not make it the norm.

eBay & PayPal process millions of transactions annually without incident, there is absolutely no reason to assume that you are at a high risk of being defrauded.

Review the Seller's Ratings, how many transactions has the Seller had, when did the Seller signup? These are all things a prudent consumer should do.

If you are new to eBay as a Seller you may have some problems because of not having any history. Potential Buyers may be reluctant to do business with you.

I really would not worry about using PayPal as the vehicle to process the transaction. They are just as diligent as banks & credit card companies when it comes to pursuing fraud and use the same systems & processes.

Give it a try.

BTW, has your computing needs changed that much in 3 1/2 months that you are in need of moving up to a MacBook Pro? What can a MacBook Pro do that your MacBook can not do?

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I agree. I don't buy anything on ebay that costs more than $200.

11. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

I sold a laptop on ebay to a guy for about $400. I went through paypal for payment and he was verified so I didn't see any problems with it. I had it shipped via UPS with a tracking number, it was delivered and signed for, everything was hunky-dory.

Three weeks later I received an email that the transaction had been reversed, and Paypal took the $400. Luckily I had immediately moved the money to my checking account, so it was my paypal account that was in the red $400. When I called to talk to paypal they told me virtually nothing, just that it was most likely a stolen credit card. They started sending me emails, calling saying that I owed the money, I repeatedly asked them to send me some sort of verification via certified mail that the transaction had actually been reversed and why, just a basic case file really. They never did.

They called for a few months and then they must've sold my account to a collections agency cause they started calling about once a day for a year or so. I actually talked to a couple of the collection agents and explained what had happened and they thought it was fishy and they would have their supervisor called. Noone ever did so I never paid.

That's the basics, it really was quite the pain in the butt, and I'm done with paypal because of this. Most likely most people won't have problems, but unfortunately I did, so I always tell folks to use every extra caution that they can.

allison.

12. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

^^that's awful. PayPal needs to take some sort of responsibility in situations like that. It's their system, if it gets bypassed by someone using a stolen card it's their fault, or at least not yours.

If you can prove you sent it you should be in the clear.

13. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

That's what you'd think....they really didn't care that the package had been received or not. I thought I was alright because the buyer had great feedback and was verified on PayPal. I tried to get some info from them for months, nothing every came of any though unfortunately.

Oh well, you win some, you lose some. I'm just happy I had moved the money to my bank account where they couldn't touch it.

allison.

14. moez macrumors regular

I recently sold my BlackBook 2Ghz with 2GB RAM for 1600CAD. So, I would say Craigslist os the way to go. Just make sure you dont agree to ship your laptop to some client in an African country :p