Selling refurbished iPhone. should I mention it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by painholic, Jul 27, 2011.

1. painholic macrumors member

I just received a new refurbished iPhone 4 from the apple store because it had some issues. I am planning to sell this phone when iPhone 5 comes out. Assume that I will sell my phone in September. Is it ok to say that I am selling only 1 month old iPhone or do I need to mention it is refurbished?

thanks

2. AbeFroman77 macrumors 6502

Why would you say it's brand new when it's not.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sell it 'as new'

4. painholic thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I just realized that so I edited my post.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, you have to sell it as used anyway. I don't think there is any need to mention that it's refurbished.

6. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

If you look up its serial no., doesn't it tell you it's a refurb? What about laptops?

7. myemailisjustin macrumors newbie

Just be honest

Don't try to swindle someone else, it will come back at you! If you mention it's refurbished, and someone still wants it & someone will, sell it. Conscious is clear. Don't over think this. ;)

8. duky macrumors 6502

I would either state the entire time that you've used the iPhone 4 (total equaling this unit plus the other one(s) that had to be taken to the genius bar) and just say it's in like new condition. Or just say that it was recently replaced by Apple and is in brand new condition. Neither is dishonest.

As a buyer I worry most about water damage, physical condition, and warranty as long as the phone is functional. So for warranty purposes, it is simply the total time you've had the iPhone 4 since the first one you bought even if replaced by Apple. Physical condition you would be saying is "like new" since it's not new and I assume you will keep it in a case till you sell it. And you'll show that there is no water damage and that it's working.

9. r0k, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

You have not said how long you had your first iPhone. Advertising a refurb replacement for a year old phone as 1 month old is not honest. However a refurb replacement is "newer" than the phone it replaced so you could focus on the condition of the phone and say something like "only used 1 month" which lets the buyer know how long you have used the phone since receiving it from Apple.

You should avoid giving the impression the phone was brand new a month ago as it should be easy for the buyer to tell the date of manufacture by the serial number and if your ad explicitly stated "1 month old" for a phone whose serial number indicates manufacture 9 months ago you have a problem.

I've sold quite a few phones on ebay. I always offer an activation guarantee and have never had a return. I also never accept bids from 0 or negative feedback bidders. I always offer a buy it now option for 1.5 x the average "completed listings only" sale price for the item I'm selling. I always require a paypal confirmed address. If you use craigslist, meet the buyer during daylight hours in a store or a bank. I tried once to buy a phone on craigslist but turned around and went home when the seller changed the meeting location from inside walmart to the parking lot at night and wanted to know what kind of car I drove. I felt greatly relieved 2 weeks later when I heard that somebody had used craigslist to lure a cell phone buyer to a secluded location to rob them and the buyer wound up getting killed. Saving a few bucks isn't worth exposing yourself to scammers or robbers. Be careful.