Price Advice Selling rMBP 15" 2014

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KJmoon117, Jul 4, 2014.

1. KJmoon117, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014

KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I just got a new laptop from Apple (courtesy of Applecare and amazing customer service) after my 2011 MBP died of Radeongate.

They gave me a 2013 retina Macbook Pro with 16GB of RAM, 2.3ghz i7, and 512GB SSD. The problem is that I actually prefer an Air due to the battery life, portability, and heating issues (I won't be able to use the rMBP on my lap for sure).

Since the computer is practically new, how much should I sell it for? Where could I sell it?

Thanks

2. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Hi,

So you are saying that you had this computer, it somehow failed, and Apple replaced your old computer with a new one? By the way, there is no 2014 rMBP, and if you look under the :apple: icon, "About this Mac" --> "More Info..." You will see Late 2013.

How many battery cycles does it have? How much warranty do you have left? If you got it replaced through Applecare, it probably will not sell for much more than your old one, as the warranty is not renewed. Not given that information, you could sell it for a range of $2200-$2400.

3. KJmoon117, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2014

KJmoon117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had a 2011 15" MBP with Radeongate haha. Yeah that was idiotic of me, I meant 2013, the latest model currently released.

I currently don't have the computer in my possession to check, but I definitely will come Monday when I pick it up. So battery cycle is right out of the box, so perhaps 1. As for Applecare, I'm going to assume that it will come with the standard 1 year with the potential to have AppleCare on it, or perhaps it will come with another 3 years of Applecare since it's a new machine.

My question is, is it foolish for me to sell this rMBP for a MBA? My friends believe it is since this is the best money can buy really. But $900-1000 extra in my pocket + a laptop more suited to my needs seems okay too.

For more information, I am a rising senior at a university studying computer science. Reason for why I prefer a 13" MBA i7 8GB of RAM and 512GB SSD is the battery life, portability, and lack of heat. I won't be able to use this rMBP on my lap, carry it on long flights (that I do take since I'm out of state), or lug it around everywhere. I also don't need the power (other than a little gaming here and there SC2/Diablo 3/BioShock Infinity) and I have a 24" external monitor to code on.

4. FrozenDarkness, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2014

FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

you should use what you need. i know it may not seem helpful but i mean a 15 incher is quite the commitment. it's heavy and not as protable.

5. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

The rMBP is a very different computer from the 2011 MBP. Just by the way, selling this computer and getting a maxed out MBA will only put about $450 in your pocket. The power of the rMBP vastly outweighs the cost difference. Obviously, if you need the portability then go for the MBA. I have a baseline 2014 MBA and I am really happy with it, but I paid $700 so I am not expecting rainbows and unicorns to shoot out of it.

As a senior at university, I could not justify getting a maxed out MBA. The MBA is just not worth $1750. The only reason you would get one maxed out is if you were constantly on the go, moving large files, making money from it. I don't know what sort of work you are doing in your upper division courses, but especially with computer programming, I feel like you will most likely need either a baseline MBA or a desktop-replacement laptop. The great thing about the rMBP is that it comes with a gtx 750m, which is by no means the best graphics card out there, but for 3D graphics work it will compute 7-10x as quickly as the HD 5000. The processor is hugely better, assuming the programs you work with utilize all 8 virtual cores, and 16GB of RAM will help when compiling large files.

If you don't think you would use that sort of power, then don't get it. And a maxed out MBA is probably overkill as well. You should look into getting a baseline MBA. And yes, I mean the 4GB/128GB SSD model. You can spend 700$ on a new MBA, which will really work fine as long as you aren't using VMs or compiling large files on a weekly basis. Or you can spend 1750$. That is exactly 2.5x the cost, and for what? You get a larger SSD, 8GB of RAM, and a slight processor bump. Do some people need the bleeding edge pumped out of a 2.96 pound computer? Sure, but they are making 150k a year off of it and getting a new one every other year. If you are looking to get the shiniest, best machine, just get a baseline computer every two years instead of maxing out a computer every four years. There are hugely diminishing returns on these machines as you move up the price scale.

TL;DR: If you do not need the rMBP, you will be fine with a baseline MBA. If you really think you need the maxed out MBA, you probably need the rMBP. And honestly, the 15" rMBP is not that bad. If you survived with your 2011 MBP, it will be a lot easier with the rMBP. The 15" rMBP weighs less than the old 13" MBP and will only heat up during intense tasks (like any computer, including the MBA). It is still probably not the best for an airplane, but unless you are commuting, I don't think it should be a deciding factor. Just something to think about.

Matt

6. KJmoon117, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014

Excellent post thanks!

The reason why I want the 8GB of RAM and 512 GB SSD is because I am trying to use my MBA has a desktop replacement. I have photos, music, videos, school work, etc. that does take up around 300GB + 100GB for Boot Camp.

I guess I can delete some of that stuff off or move it to an external storage. I will probably start looking at the baseline Air.

Nonetheless, my main goal is to have a machine that last. My future workplace will probably give me a better laptop or ask me to code at a secure workstation at work. I just want a machine that will ultimately last 4-6 years like my 2007 iMac has. I think the rMBP won't really come that close with the heating issues and all.

7. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

I personally couldn't, but

I personally couldn't give up that rMBP. Between performance, and screen quality, I'd be so in love with it. And it's not like it's super heavy or anything. It's lighter than your Radeongated 2011... Looking at what other people sell used rMBP '13s for, you can probably sell yours for quite a lot. Like $2300 or so. And BTW... **** Macs are cheap in America... It's roughly ≈ $4000 for a new one here.

So yeah, just sell it and buy an MBA. Enjoy.

8. 960design macrumors 68020

Whoa! I did not know that. I just got my new MBPr on Friday and you are correct.
    OSX 10.10 MacBook Pro Model: Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013

Kinda surprised me.

9. KJmoon117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The conflict is real. I keep switching between keeping it and selling it.

I think I will keep it for a month and see how it goes. If the battery is good enough, weight is light enough, and the heat is cool enough, I will probably end up keeping it.

10. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

What?

You bought a machine this expensive without researching it at all? Really?
    Don't you mean OS X 10.9 though? 10.10 is in beta.

11. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

If it is in the box, unopened, you will definitely lose some potential money by opening it up. The rMBP is really a beautiful computer though, and it really is your best purchase, especially if you are looking at getting the maxed out MBA instead. The rMBP will be so much nicer for the money, and it will hold a much better resale value 3-4 years down the line. It weighs 4.46 pounds in comparison to the 5.6 pounds of the 2011 model, the SSD and the lack of the optical drive will really cut down on heat/noise, and it is an absolutely gorgeous computer.

Like I said before, you can pick up a 2014 baseline MBA for about $700 from Best Buy. If you really cannot survive with a 15" computer, then get a baseline MBA. I have personally owned the 2010 and the 2014 MBA. I loved them both, and never had any problem as a consumer. If you see yourself potentially doing 3D graphics work in the next 4-5 years though, you probably shouldn't get the maxed out MBA. You will get a lot more bang for your buck upgrading a baseline MBA every two years instead of getting a maxed out one every 4-5 years. If you are doing 3D work on a MBA, RAM will bottleneck, but so will every other component, meaning you will wish you had kept the rMBP. Sometimes, the best way to future-proof is to get the best computer available. Other times, future proofing means you get what you need right now, and save the money for a new computer when you need it.

I respect that you want your computer to last, and you hope to use it for 4-5 years. You know yourself best, so if you know what work you will be doing in 4-5 years, then great, get what you need. If you don't, then getting a maxed out MBA is risky because it is a graphics/processing constrained computer, even today.

Get the rMBP if you want a computer for 4-5 years. Get the MBA if you want a portable computer. Do not expect it to handle any graphics or processing intensive work 4-5 years from now.

12. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

To be fair, many people expect a product sold new in 2014 to have a 2014 title. Especially with the fragmentation in the PC market, with Sandybridge/Ivybridge computers being sold as 2014 models, people focus less on when a product was made and just make sure the components are new. Apple is one of the only computer companies that focuses on the release date of its products.

That being said, I understand where you are coming from, as I never make a purchase without thoroughly researching the whole market. This forum member assumed a computer purchased in 2014 was a 2014 model. I don't think that is grounds to be condescending.

And they could be a dev.

Matt

13. KJmoon117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I pick up the laptop on Monday. Because it's a free replacement from AppleCare, I am 100% sure that the Genius's will open it up to show me that everything is working. One way or another, I do need a laptop asap so I will need to open the box :/ I'm not sure if the value I will lose will offset the taxes I'll save from the NC sale tax holiday come August.

I highly doubt I will be doing any 3D work. I'm a terrible artist and designer. What I will be doing most likely is coding for sure, writing papers, and browsing with a ton of tabs.

I'm currently using a friend's 13" MBA (1.3Ghz, 256GB, 4GB of RAM) and I feel as if the 4GB isn't enough to run Parallels side by side with other applications on OS X. It's not enough to have over 12 tabs open and play 1080p YouTube video on an external monitor. I'm definitely being entitled coming from a 16GB environment.

I feel like the only thing holding me back from selling the rMBP is the display. The thing is gorgeous from what I've seen at the store and I can't wait to start coding and browsing websites on it. But the lack of battery power and the sheer size is a huge turn off as it won't fit on airplane desks, classroom seat-desks, etc.

Also the Best Buy deal has expired unfortunately :( Plus the $100 Apple gift card from buying at the Apple Store should also offset the purchase of AppleCare (a must for me as I can't afford to self-insure).

Just less than 24 hours before I finally feel this beast in my hands. I'll report back.

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The Air is definitely going to give you lower framerates. It might be fine for older games like those mentioned, but don't expect to run on max settings.

That is a ridiculous exaggeration. Have you ever picked up a 15" rmbp and compared? It's about a pound and a half more than the Air, and I can still pick it up with one hand. Neither represents a machine that I can place in my pocket or use without a somewhat level surface like a phone or iPad. The difference in weight shouldn't tire anyone out, and if you're using a backpack made to accommodate a notebook, either one should fit.

15. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

I have a $150 off student discount that expires on the 12th from BB. When I purchased my MBA they didn't ask me for it, so PM me if you want it.

16. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Oh, no, don't get me wrong

I didn't really mean to be condescending. I can see how I could come off that way, and I regret the way I phrased myself. Considering the amount of time I spend in the System Information app, every time I sit with a new machine, I was just a bit surprised to find that apparently not everyone on this site does the same... Kinda figured that this site's audience was the people who do that. That was very presumptuous of me though.
    Of course 960 could be a dev, but having just gotten the Mac on the Friday before the post, I assumed he/she would run a stable system to check for any potential problems before putting it on a dev preview. Of course there could be reasons for instantly popping Yosemite on it, like needing to check Retina functionality on an app built on the Yosemite SDK. I was being a bit presumptuous when writing the post, and I apologize to all who read it, especially 960design.

17. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Really?

Desks must be small in America then. You could fit a 30 inch monitor on the desks my college has. The battery is still quite excellent really. And really it's not that big or heavy. I mean you're coming from another 15" that's way heavier.
    If you do go MBA, I strongly suggest 8 gigs of RAM though. Processor speed doesn't really matter, and if you have external storage, then the SSD won't matter much either, but 4 gigs of RAM will probably slow you down dramatically. My 2011 15" came with 4 gigs, and running iTunes, Safari, Mail, and Eclipse/Xcode was enough for it to be extremely hampered by RAM. I installed 8 gigs, and it was the best thing I'd ever done (not actually of course). It's just much better, especially with Mavericks' memory compression. I'd like an SSD too though, but I'll get that eventually. Speaking of which, less RAM won't be as bad if your swap disk is an SSD, but you'll still be swapping, which is never good. I doubt you'll be able to live with 4 gigs, at least if you like multitasking and using a good few libraries in your programming...

18. KJmoon117, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014

They look like this
    http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l543/hercampusphoto/UCF/UCF- 2011/c3f39cb9.png

Those are all 13in MBP mind you. The desks are tiny. My desk in my dorm room is bigger but accommodates a 15in MBP + 24" Asus external monitor and not much writing space left. Tiny. But whatever, I never work in my room and I only have one more year at this place.

I do believe that I will most likely get the 8GB of RAMs, it's the one thing that prevents me from accepting mad3inch1na's generous offer or having bought a MBA with my friend at Best Buy. I can't see myself fully appreciating the machine I'm currently using without 8GB of RAM. The processor will be ignored and I'll opt for an external if I do go MBA.

One of my thoughts is as mad3inch1na said, I have no idea what I'll be doing in the future. It could be something intensive (probably not gfx still) so if I am going to get a free powerful machine, might as well keep it and sell it a year or two later if I realize I don't need the machine than buy the same machine after selling it when I realize that I do need a 15" rMBP.

Also am a little traumatized with 1in thick laptops with dedicated graphics. The whole radeongate really threw off by summer school workflow and put me behind a couple of days (equivalent to a week worth of regular school).

I'll see how the next week or two goes with this thing.

19. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

I like just using my MBA on my lap in class. Typing on those tiny desks is just awkward, and your elbow gets in other people's space. Just personal preference I guess, but a 15" laptop wouldn't make any difference for me.

20. 960design macrumors 68020

Haha! Yes I researched it. My company bought it, we get new ones every two years on the dot, July refresh for me. You are correct, I'm a developer and working on the next best thing requires me to be in Yosemite. I literally just ran the migration assistant with a thunderbolt cable and got back to work. I haven't checked the sys info page yet. I did make the assumption that a computer purchased mid 2014 would have a 2014 tag, instead of a late 2013 one. As long as it works, I'm happy.

21. KJmoon117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Update! Sorry couldn't post sooner, I had an exam today to study for.

So I went to the Apple Store on Monday. Before the Genius got to me, I went around the store looking at various laptops and picking them up. Honestly, the 15" rMBP is huge and bulky. If I got this laptop straight away then I might have not realized it but after using my girlfriends MBA 13" for the past week and a half, I don't think I can go back.

Why not the 13" rMBP? The palm rest was cutting into my wrist as I typed and it was also noticeably heavier compared to the 13" MBA. Plus my financially responsible girlfriend pretty much convinced me that I will never fully utilize the rMBP and the extra $500ish (or even more) isn't worth it.

So in the end, I am selling this rMBP for around $2300, unopened, and buying a refurbished 13" MBA.

Thanks all :D