Selling rMBP for MBA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gadgetgirl85, Jun 18, 2013.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I'm thinking of selling my late '12 13" rMBP for a new 13" i5 8gb MBA. Is there much difference other than the screen? If I went i7 would it make much difference?

2. uniforms macrumors regular

I thought I would try the air because of the battery life. There is nothing like a Retina! This air is going back to BB! I would not give up on Retina!

3. kahkityoong macrumors 6502

kahkityoong

I did the same thing. The only thing I preferred the retina display for was watching HD video. The i7 on the MBA should outperform the i5 on the rMBP.

4. aloshka macrumors 65816

Thought I'd chime in too. The new air is INCREDIBLY fast at waking up. That's one thing that annoyed me about the retina 13.

I'm split though. Hate the screen on the air, but love the weight and the speed. Retina felt the same speed and I have the i7 air. I have 12 days left to return, not sure. Money is not a problem

5. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Hmmm I'm stuck. It wouldn't be my main computer

6. aloshka macrumors 65816

I think weight + screen should be your choice. As everything else won't be that noticeable.

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

+ battery life. It's a laptop after all

8. aloshka macrumors 65816

Yeah but rMBP is already at 7 hours, to me that's huge. I guess 12 hours is even more. I think I'm stuck on the screen, ignore everything else I say.

9. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Yeah....screen is a hard one. I do like mobility though. How about processing?

10. aloshka macrumors 65816

Processing feels identical

So I have narrowed it down to screen vs portability.

11. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

CPU has stopped being the performance bottleneck long ago, unless you do 24/7 rendering, which is strange then if you want a MBA for that.

12. hkim1983 macrumors 6502

There are some minor differences which may/may not bother you between them that I noticed:

-The rMBP has the superior keyboard, although honestly, both of them aren't as good as the cMBPs. I personally think the Airs have the worst keyboards in any mac I have ever used, but that's just my opinion.

-They have comparable trackpads, but with the additional depth in the rMBPs, you get more positive feedback.

-The rMBP has superior speakers, but if you really cared about audio, you would have it hooked up to decent speakers/headphones anyway.

-It's easier to use 2 monitors with a rMBP than an Air, although, if you're using external monitors a lot, one might question why you need a rMBP at all...

I'm sure there are other differences as well that aren't obvious (dimensions/weight/battery life/etc.), but what it boils down to is: do you want the retina screen or not?m

13. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I like the lightness of the air but I don't know about the screen ugghhh. I guess I should go and play with one and decide if I can downgrade