Selling rMBP - how much discretion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ncrypt, Jan 6, 2015.

?

Disclose part replacements

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Yes, only if they ask

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. No

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. ncrypt macrumors regular

I'm selling my Early 2013 13" rMBP on eBay, my question is, do I disclose that I had the screen and logic board replaced whilst it was still under AppleCare?

The replacements were due to image retention and graphic tearing respectively.

I was thinking of disclosing only if someone asks if there is any AppleCare left on it or if has had any damage.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally, as a buyer, I would like to know this.
    Does the serial number on the Mac, match what in the System Information report? If not (due to the new logic board), you'll open yourself up to more headaches if questions arise after the sale.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Tbh with the quality of apples work on previous visits by myself I would be happy to find out a machine had new parts

4. dyt1983, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They don't always and that's my point. It's possible not to have a serial number in the System Information report.

6. ncrypt thread starter macrumors regular

Yup the numbers match, including to the one engraved on the bottom shell of the Mac.

Interesting thought. I can see where you're coming from and yet I think if was a buyer, the product would seem 'tainted' if I saw this.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

fair enough :)

I do think being forth right is the best approach - just my $.02

8. dyt1983, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If being open and honest about a used product is giving you cause to think about not doing so, maybe you shouldn't be a seller.

Apple making replacements on items not of your doing should not be seen as a negative to you. If a potential buyer sees that as such, when the Apple refurb store is no different, that is on them.

Do the right thing.

10. TRC-WA macrumors regular

I sold my MacBook Air for $500 when I upgraded to the Pro a few days ago...

I didn't disclose the fact that it was splashed with Coke about 14 months ago and I had the keyboard replaced and logicboard cleaned.

Why should I? It was no longer under the 1 year warranty and had worked great since the repair.

11. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I will be selling my 2012 13" MBA soon, and will be disclosing that it has had a screen/clamshell replacement and a trackpad replacement under A/C. If I was a buyer, I'd see this as a positive.

12. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

It doesn't matter that it was no longer under warranty. Being open and honest about a product you are selling is the right thing to do. It can also protect you, should the buyer try to seek a refund of some kind later on.

Which is more important, the dollar or treating people with respect and how you expect to be treated when you buy a product?

13. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I can see both sides .... If you were selling a car you'd be positive and go on about the service history etc, however I doubt you'd inform the potential purchaser of any body repairs etc it's had done.

14. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I have done so in the past. I expect others who are selling to do the same.

Doing the right thing (morally and legally) should not be dictated by the dollar amount of a potential sale, in my opinion.

15. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Well because that counts as abuse with possible long-term effects from corrosion. Whether to spend money on an abused item is the buyers call, not yours. Credit to you for getting it repaired properly but still should have been disclosed IMHO.

Analogy would be a car subjected to flooding and dried out, all seems well but even after months latent corrosion issues could come to hand. Overwhelmingly insurance companies disclose such history if they dispose of such vehicles.

16. TRC-WA macrumors regular

Agreed... no intent to defraud on my part.

I used it 14 months and had NO ISSUES at all... so I didn't feel a need to disclose the fact that I had it repaired... at an Apple authorized shop.

17. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

I can see your point but this again reconfirms why I rather buy Apple Refurb than second hand (unless it is really cheap)

18. ncrypt thread starter macrumors regular

Okay thanks guys. Before posting here I had already replied to one interested buyer letting them know of the repairs, but will strongly consider adding it into the main product description as well

19. leman macrumors 604

Withholding this kind of information will potentially open you to fraud lawsuits in the future. I would certainly mention this.