Selling some Xserve G5s

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Starbomber73, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Starbomber73 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I have 11 Xserve G5s that I no longer have a use for. I was wondering what I could price them for to sell. All feedback welcome!

specs:
    2 Power PC 2.3 Ghz processors
    4 Gb RAM
    80 Gb hard drive
    All power cables
    Rack mounting hardware
    Copy of OSX Leopard (10 client)

2. tampasteve macrumors 6502

Honestly, it seems to vary wildly depending on demand at the time. Your best bet seems to be Ebay as Craigslist buyers are not generally server buyers, but that varies by location too. In my area (Tampa) a Xserve G5 sat on Craigslist for a couple of months and the seller was only asking $100.

Ebay seems to have them going from $75- $150 plus shipping. But shipping them is a hassle.

Personally these are my favorite PPC Machine. I have two that I don't want to get rid of right now....if only I could think of a use for them. If you are handy you can make pretty cool end tables out of them. Those might sell for more on Craigslist just for the interest value. I still might use my two for something like this. Heck, you could even have them plugged in and working in this manner.

[​IMG]

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Generally you could get $50.00 - $100.00 each. That being said they must have a copy of Leopard Server each, and you cannot use the same copy on all like you can with regular Leopard. They still are great servers and are very affordable hardware options for the budget conscious organization or network administrator.

Depending on location, you may want to sell them locally. In my area (Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania Area), they can be sold to our local computer shops for $35 or put on Craigslist for about $100.

4. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

An Xserve is something I'd like to own, but where I live in California I'm super far away from any major city, and look at the image below of my local CL. That's all! The Optiplex & G4 are my own listings, which every so often something sells. I've never bought a computer local, which is a shame but whatever.

And shipping things always sucks, like I have over $90 into a dual 1GHz MDD between the $50 shipping and $40 in the thing itself. G5's I've had a lot of money into, and 70% of the thing is shipping. Sucks!

Attached Files:

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Maybe you will luck out and Starbomber73 lives in California...

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Jeez... The G4s go for more than that here in Portland. The G5s are usually in the $200-$250 range.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I think it really depends on the area...