selling the computer, an apps question.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by one1, Aug 22, 2008.

1. one1 macrumors 65816

My buddy and I are going to trade computers. We both work with audio/video and we both have about $20,000.00-$25,000.00 worth of high end software (Quark, CS3 Master Collection, RealFlow, Cinema 4D, Logic Pro, Final Cut Pro, etc).

We have our own license keys for all our software, and the software apps total about 30 gig, not including loops and plug ins that are about another 20 gig and roughly $8,000.00 more. Basically we have two real monsters here we're swapping.

The last time I went to a new HD and had to load everything it took me close to 4 days to get all the apps installed and set up with the preferences, as well as the plug ins, all the activations, etc..... REAL P.I.T.A. to say the least.

Since he and I have the same software could we swap computers without having to reformat each one and set them back up again then just deactivate each software and reactivate it with our own keys?

I'm really struggling to keep from having to reformat all over because when you set this much stuff up, especially specialized audio and video, it can take days and days to get it all back together. Just on my little macbook it took me 2 days to get it back right when I changed it's HD, much less my big work machine.

2. ghking macrumors regular

ghking

what model of computer are they? you could just physically remove the hd's and switch them

but im not sure if that is possible

anyone?

3. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

They are Mac Pro's and we can't just swap HD's because mine is about double what his is in ram and other physical add-ons plus multiple HD's totaling terabytes and it's all set up and configured for this motherboard. He's going pro, and I am backing off. So with his computer and some boot I'll have some extra change to buy some new Callaway clubs ;) :)