Selling the iPad 3rd gen to fund 13' rMBP

Discussion in 'iPad' started by xekret, Oct 26, 2012.

1. xekret macrumors newbie

So I came to the conclusion that pretty much an iPad isn't for me. I love the design and concept but I guess I am more of a full computer experience in my hands. Since I bought my iMac I hardly ever use the iPad, and since I don't really travel it just sits in my drawer. I will use the funds to get a 13' rMBP or spec'd out Air. Also getting in line to get an iPhone 5 the first week of December so I think that device can take over the iPad duties (books, magazines).

2. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Sounds like you figured out what works best for you. Enjoy you new rMBP and iPhone.

3. aleni macrumors 68020

if u can save more money, better get the next revision of the 15" rmbp because it has a dedicated graphic card.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

13" or 15"....that is very important. I cannot for the life of me wrap my head around the pricing of the 13" retina since it does not have a dedicated GPU. If it had one $1699 would make sense...w/o it you are basically getting a bulkier Air at a higher price with a smaller SSD. $500 is not worth the price of retina....if you need retina you need a dedicated GPU

5. xekret thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input guys. I think 13' is perfect in my situation since I do go to school and will probably take a few online courses. I don't want to be tied down to a desk at all times. I was even considering an 11' Air.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The Airs perform just as good as the 13" MBP. If you need the extra horsepower, you need to go quad core and 15" MBP. I see not point in the 13" rMBP. You'll need to decide in person whether the extra resolution is worth it. The 1440x900 screen of the 13" Airs is not shabby. And the laptop itself is thinner. The 11" MBA is just an awesome portable computer.

7. xekret thread starter macrumors newbie

Honestly I don't need all the horsepower since my iMac does most of my CPU intensive work. I've also had that dilemma of the resolution but that screen is just amazing. I fell in love with the 15" but I needed something at that time was more a centralized media station. That is where my iMac shines, but my reasoning for getting a 13" instead of an air is that display again. I was at the Apple store and compared the air and rMBP side by side and my money is going to the Retina. The 11" Air is awesome like you said. My girlfriend has one and carries it wherever she goes even after her purse changes.

8. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

Considering that people on craig's list are offering me $200 to $250 for my 16GB ipad 3 you might as well keep yours, you won't get much money from selling it.

9. mac jones macrumors 68040

I'll chime in. I have tried the retina 13" for a few days. I returned it gladly.
    WAY overpriced. It's just an ok notebook with around a $400 premium for a smallish screen

Mind you, I own the 15" retina, and would never sell that. I also thought the 13"
    Retina screen seemed really dim, and it was small. Not worth the huge money. No way.

Just buy a 13" Air.

But the good thing is, you can always just try the retina, as Apple makes returns painless. Of course I don't condone frivolous returns, as I was more than willing to keep mine. Just didn't happen.

10. JoelBC macrumors 6502a

I did the same thing...I sold my iPad 3 because i) I did not use it that much ii) I concluded that my needs would be better suited with a MacBook and iii) small revolt on my part regarding the fast iPad 3 to iPad 4 upgrade.

The only difference between the OP and me is that I am deciding between a refurb June 2012 13" MBA 2.0/8GB/256, a Samsung Series 9 and an ASUS Zenbook Prime [and, yes, I am Windows guy who was considering coming over to Apple but am now somewhat turned-off between i) the fast iPad 3 to iPad 4 upgrade and ii) the pricing of the 13" rMBP].

There is no point in considering 15" -- at least for me -- as it is simply too big!

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The Air runs Windows 7 better than most laptops out there..

12. JoelBC macrumors 6502a

I need to decide whether to run Windows i) through BootCamp ii) through BootCamp and Parallels or iii) Parallels alone...any ideas / thoughts to share.

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Bootcamp and Parallels. That way you can boot native into Windows when you need to, but you'll probably find Parallels does the trick 95% of the time. It's good to have the option. That 5% will get you every time... :D

14. xekret thread starter macrumors newbie

A good friend of mine who is an Apple fan has been drooling over it and I offered it to him for $650 and we made a deal. I just have to wait after Christmas since that is when he will get the funds. The iPad is a 32gb ATT. I've only had it since May.

I like the Air a lot, but I am still sold on that Retina display. I will agree that the 13" us not as stunning as the 15" but it seems a little to big to me.

15. JoelBC macrumors 6502a

Yes, that is what I was afraid you would say as it is much more effort / work to install / setup as well as backup / maintain...but is is what it is...anyways, back to the purpose of this thread as I do not want to take us too far off course...

Thanks,

Joel