Selling the iPhone...is it possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aj52489, Jul 23, 2008.

1. aj52489 macrumors newbie

I know many people have most likely asked this already but I couldn't find it in a search...I currently have the 16gb iphone 1st gen...I was thinking about going into the apple store tomorrow buying two iphone 3g's....First off, what does it take do be eligable for the $299 price? I was planning on keeping one for myself, then would proceed to immediately cancel the contract on the second phone which apparently costs $175...Then I would go on and sell the iPhone without contract on ebay for about $900, and would also sell my orignal 1st gen iphone for whatever price...are there any flaws in this plan?

2. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

You have to keep the phone for longer than 30 days. If you return it before 30 days, you pay no ETF and AT&T takes the phone back.

So it's the 1st months bill (around $75 or so) + $175 ETF.

3. aj52489 thread starter macrumors newbie

So how are people selling the iphones on ebay already considering they have not been out a month?

4. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

I don't really know, but I'm going to guess they just sell the phone without the SIM. After 30 days they will just cancel their service and they're set.

5. aj52489 thread starter macrumors newbie

would the phone work if i just removed the sim and then another person put their sim inside?

6. Nemesis2747 macrumors newbie

The first gen phone unlocked yes it would work. Thats how i have my iphone. 3g, maybe when the Dev team releases thier iphone 3g crack.

7. aj52489 thread starter macrumors newbie

AT&T told me on the phone today that if I purchase the new iPhone and don't like it, I can just swap my SIM back to my old phone (without unlocking) and it will be fully funtional...although, I would be paying the extra 10 a month for the 3g data plan with the old iphone :(.......Would a 1st gen iPhone SIM work if I put it into the 3g phone?

8. jinspin macrumors newbie

Yes I have been getting conflicting comments about cancellation policy.
    One att rep told me there is 175 cancellation policy if i cancel after 30 days but also 200 equipment charge that apple would charge if i cancelled within 6 months.
    another att rep said i would have to return phone back to apple store if i cancel within 30 days.

then how are people on ebay selling iphones so soon without contract?
    I would like to sell my extra iphone on ebay.

Would I call att and cancel contract and then take out sim card?
    If I take out my sim card from iphone- I would then just ship ebay buyer the iphone without sim card and they can then activate it? And then after 30 days I would just cancel my contract? I am so confused how this whole ebay thing works and it has been hard finding any reliable info. Thanks for any help.

9. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

It looks like most of the unlocked ones on ebay are ones imported from the countries which sell them unlocked, like Italy or Hong Kong. That's also probably part of the reason they are so expensive, is because they are legally unlocked ones purchased at full price.

10. aneftp macrumors 68040