Selling the MBP, what to do with my files?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattersport, Sep 17, 2012.

1. mattersport macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I got a Macbook Pro in late 2009 for school. I have always been a PC guy, but needless to say using the Mac was a joy. I was in a graphic design program for a year and it was a great experience. Over the year I was at school I created nearly a hard drive full of content ranging from websites to videos to other media.

I have been out of the program for a while and I didn't really pursue a graphic design career so I have now decided to sell my MBP. I just don't use it very much anymore and I'm looking to build a new PC. Problem is, I have all of that content that I don't want to lose. I don't really intend to put it directly on my PC for browsing, but I would like to have it accessible so I can look through it occasionally. Obviously when I sell the Mac I will be wiping the drive.

So I'm wondering what you guys would recommend. Can I buy an external drive and create an image of my Mac's drive? Is there an easy way to do this? I don't really want to sift through all of the files to keep only the important stuff. I'd rather just have it all accessible in the file structure it was in.

I also have a time machine backup, but I have heard it won't be useful on PC.

So any help would be appreciated, sorry about the long post but I figured I would get more help if you had a bit of a backstory.

Also, just out of curiousity, and apologies if this is against forum rules, but any idea how much a mid 2009 17" 2.8 ghz 500GB 4GB MBP is worth?

Thanks again guys.

-Matt

2. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

my opinion would be to get an external hdd and manually put the files you need on there. then you dont have to worry about images and mounting them and compatibility.

As for the price, I would say $700-$800 on the high end

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Simply move them to an external and then wipe the internal drive. You could also put the internal drive into an enclosure and have that be your external drive and then purchase a new $50 internal for the MBP before you sell it.