Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Righteo, thanks Panda man.
icon14.gif
That's what I've been doing but I didn't want to be sending you frivolous post reports.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Sounds good. So perhaps the MP rules should be done away with since we can all just sell things in signatures whether it be VIA PM only or via eBay. No? The only difference is the user cannot start a thread but editing a signature is certainly prone to more exposure anyway. Just a suggestion.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Sounds good. So perhaps the MP rules should be done away with since we can all just sell things in signatures whether it be VIA PM only or via eBay. No? The only difference is the user cannot start a thread but editing a signature is certainly prone to more exposure anyway. Just a suggestion.

I do somewhat agree with you but signatures have their pros and cons. I have sigs on but ignore them much like ads on a web site. So in a sense that's less exposure. People can also turn off sigs (which I do from time to time).

If they get to be an issue we'll certainly revisit the matter but for now it's staying as is.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
We prefer to not make rules for problems that don't really exist...it helps keep things simpler for everyone. To date, instances of people selling things in sigs have been few and far between, and we haven't received reports of problems stemming from the ones that have appeared.

Deals in the Marketplace forum, however, have long been a source of problems, which is why we tightened up the requirements. Things have been orders of magnitude better since we made those changes.

But as SilentPanda says, if sale/auction listings in signatures become a problem, we'll address it.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
^ What about when a newbie is bumping old threads with really random comments perhaps just to get their signature noticed? I've seen and reported this a few times and not known exactly what the rules are with that. It's like passive spamming.

I have reported them. Typically those accounts get removed for spamming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.