Selling two to buy a new advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pad07, Aug 30, 2008.

1. pad07 macrumors regular

Hi all,

I want to sell my two old Macs to hopefully have enough to buy a new notebook, one of the touted new ones in September? I'd love it if someone could give me some advice on how to time this, and how much I could get.

MAC #1:
    iMac, white, 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    512MB RAM
    10.5 Leopard
    - Good condition, Mighty Mouse trackwheel doesn't work though, boxed.

MAC #2:
    MacBook black, 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB RAM
    10.5 Leopard
    - Impeccable condition, as new, boxed.

So, selling both of these, how much would I likely get? And would it be enough to buy a new swanky MacBook in September? (I am right about new MacBooks in September, right?)

Thanks!

2. Dudeman486 macrumors member

if you really want to do this, then definitely sell these by the end of the first week of september. speculation has been swirling that the notebook updates will happen as soon as september 9th, and even though i don't believe this, it's better to be safe than sorry.

now i don't want to criticize your decision or anything, but i personally would not sell an imac AND a macbook just to buy a macbook. i'd just sell the blackbook, and i think you'd be able to fetch a decent price for that ($1000 or more). that should cover at least 80% of the new macbook.

good luck! cheers.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Price would also depend on if the computer comes with the Leopard install DVD. Otherwise the OS adds zero value since it can not be reinstalled.

Though not 100% accurate Mac2Sell.net will give you a pretty good idea.

4. pad07 thread starter macrumors regular

It has the Tiger install and Leopard upgrade disk.