Selling unlocked iphones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iluvifone, Jul 26, 2010.

1. iluvifone macrumors 6502

So we're getting unlocked iphone 4s here in Canada this week, and i'm just wondering if it's a good idea to sell them on eBay?

They will likely cost approx 700 for 16gb, 800 for 32, and are going on ebay for as much as 1300/1400/1500$.

Is there any loopholes that I didn't catch or is it a simple business transaction?

Also, why don't more people do this? It's very profitable and not very time consuming. Is it illegal or something?

Thx

2. g35 macrumors 6502a

Careful about scammers. People will buy your phone, file a grievance. send back a different, worse phone, then get their money back while you're stuck with a different, worse phone than the one you sent away.

I don't use eBay but there's a new thread every week with this scenario, it seems like.

I suppose if you only sell to reputable buyers this is less of a problem.

3. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

I had a similar question but I didn't want to start a new thread. What if I sell my iPhone 4 I bought in the us with my AT&T contract for $200, unlocked/jailbroken and then sold it for more, then could I legally go back to Apple and say "I lost it" and buy another for $200?

4. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

The $200 replacement price is only if you give them your broken phone, you would pay the full unsubsidized price if you 'lost" it.

5. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Ah, I wondered how that worked.

6. mo0620 macrumors regular

also have to factor in the eBay and PayPal fees. here is an easy way to calculate how much profit you can potentially make after figuring the fees http://www.newlifeauctions.com/calc.html

7. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks to all who replied so far.

Ok so to 'avoid' any scammers, i thought about not shipping internationally, but that wouldn't make any sense since the unlocked iphones are widely available in canada. the money is all overseas! so i'm going to take some extreme precautions, including:

-only allowing members with greater than 10 feedback to bid, otherwise i'll cancel their bid
    -only allowing people to bid who have been ebay members BEFORE apr 2010 (seems like a reasonable time frame)
    -ship with tracking number, signature required

and finally, on the day I ship the iphone, (to be able to fight any ebay disputes) i will carry my vid. camera with me, and have my friend record me showing that it is SEALED and Brand new in box (10 feet away from the post office), and also weigh it on a scale to show the exact # of grams it weighs, proceeded by packaging it right there and showing the mailing address clearly, and handing it to the post office. I think thats pretty much a 'foolproof' way to avoid being scammed.

The only think i can think of, is: what if the scammer does return back another phone in the same box, etc.. and ebay would obviously side with him, and after i show them my video, what if they say something like: oh, the box wasn't brand new.. you opened it, put an old phone in it, and taped it up with a small piece of tape along the original packaging.

So the only way I can think to avoid that, would be to actually open the package, which would not make it "brand new in box" anymore, and might lower the auction value?

What do u guys think?

EDIT: Also, i realized if i buy the phone, for say, 600 + tax.. lets make that 700 (approx.). And i sell it on ebay for approx 1400, so there's 700$ revenue. Minus ebay/paypal fees, free shipping, so like, subtract 100 max, right?... so i'm left with a 600$ profit?

8. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

Very important. Only ship to CONFIRMED addresses. If someone wins and their address isn't confirmed in PP tell them to confirm it or you're not selling it to them.

9. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah that's a good idea, the confirmed addressed. thanks!

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

How are you going to get the phones? Here in the UK (where they are also unlocked) they sell as fast as shops get them in. There are waiting lists. I don't think there'll be a lot going round that you can buy to sell on.

11. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

If you line up at 4-5 hours before launch, you're pretty much guaranteed to get them (there was barely anyone lined up for 3gs last year). Apple store said they will have min. 850 units, 2 per customer. I'm gonna get 2, brother's gonna get 2, and sisters/parents as well. Thats a nice load of money right there.

12. peterjcat macrumors 6502

I thought Canadians were supposed to be decent people!

13. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

that's the whole point. i'm offering unlocked iphones to people in other countries who are inable to get their hands on one!

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yeah ok:D
    Great idea, Im surprised noone else thought of it but you.

15. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Okay, didn't want to start a new thread/didn't search for another one. It looked like a good quick way to dump my question :D.

16. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

Seems like a lot of money for relatively small benefit. After all, there are only a few GSM carriers in the U.S. What's the point in spend big bucks for an unlocked GSM phone?

17. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Have you sold items on ebay before? You're going to have difficulty finding a good buyer without some feedback.

18. Vincentmoy macrumors newbie

ehhh... for international travelers... People who needs to travel to different places for extend period of time but they are based in the US. And they don't want to pay ATT that ridiculous roaming fees.

Or maybe it just sounds cooler with an unlock iphone in the US :D

19. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Usually the people who have to travel that much will have their companies pay for it though.

20. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

I am just shaking my head at this dude.

21. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

paypal is gonna hold all funds for like 21 days. or until you recieve positive feedback (yes, they expect you to ship before you get money in the bank) and once feedback is left they will release funds...BUT jacknob scammer is gonna give you **** feedback, get the phone and his money...you are left with jack all.

This is why people dont sell them on ebay and why nobody trusts people that are selling them in bulk.

I sell my personal phone on ebay once a year and I dont ship until I get my money in the bank...if this means begging the seller to leave positive feedback first, so be it...some dont like this cuz they feel they will get scammed if u end up sending them a bunk unit. Then u gotta call paypal and demand they release your money. its a pain in the ass process but it works and is highly profitable

good luck