Carrier selling unopened ATT iphone 6 plus (from Apple.com)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aneftp, Sep 28, 2014.

1. aneftp macrumors 601

Just a quick question.

My wife doesn't want her iphone 6 plus (silver/white). I got it as upgrade $399 (64GB) plus taxes. Selling it for $850 cash.

Phone is unopened and still in fedex box.

When I do the transaction (don't worry, it's in a super secure place with cameras everywhere inside building). Buyer may or may not want to open up the iphone.

But the issue is it's my wife's iphone upgrade. She's currently using the iphone 5S and at home. I am working and doing the sell.

So if seller just takes the nano sim card out and puts in his nano sim card, the phone should activate? Right? He has ATT so that won't be an issue?

Reason I asked this is when I got my iphone 6 plus (gold) from Apple retail store. I used my nephew's upgrade. When they gave me the phone, it deactivated my nephew's sim card (he's in california) and I am in Georgia. So it killed off his sim card and he had to go get another sim card in California.

Obviously my wife will be annoyed if this iphone 6 plus gets activated and kills her sim card while I am at work and she's at home with our 2 young kids. She doesn't want to go to ATT store to get a sim card replacement.

So what's the best option? Take the sim card out of new iphone 6 plus I am selling? Have seller activate new iphone 6 plus over wifi at my work place?

2. sjperformance macrumors 6502

sjperformance

Your wife's sim will get deactivated. Best option is whoever buys that phone and will use it on AT&T meet you at store. Right there you can get your wife a new sim.

3. blackhawk526 macrumors member

blackhawk526

If you already have the iPhone and you wife's phone is still working, then you do not need to worry. The sim in the new iPhone can be thrown away. Its not activated and ATT would need to be called to activate it on an account. If it was activated, your wife's current sim would not work.

4. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Why not just return it to Apple and get your money back. You do know she will not be eligible for an upgrade for two years if you just sell it, right?

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I agree and I would just return it to save a future upgrade.

No way I would had the phone over to someone with out it being in person and them giving me the SIM card back.

6. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

The safest route is that I would just return the device because if you don't, it uses her upgrade and she won't be able to upgrade for another 2 years. Once you return the device, she gets her upgrade back and she can upgrade later if she choose to upgrade.

7. Dstopsie macrumors 6502a

You have to activate the phone with the SIM card it came with. When that is done it will deactivate your wife's phone. Then ATT needs to switch the phone off your wife's account. You then have to get a new Sim card at the ATT store for her phone as it will immediately shut it off. Phone has to be activated with the Sim card it came with its already preprogrammed with her phone number in it

My friend does this all the time and it's constantly shutting off his family members lines because he uses their upgrades to get the newest iPhone every year. and each and every year we have to go to the ATT store to get another Sim card for the family member who's phone was deactivated when he activated the new iPhone