Selling Verizon iPhone 4 on eBay/Craigslist

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alkalinetrio388, Feb 3, 2011.

1. alkalinetrio388 macrumors newbie

I have 3 lines that I upgraded and pre-ordered iPhone 4's. No one on the plan wants to keep them so I am going to sell them on eBay/Craigslist.

My question: can I just sell the phone as is in the box once I receive them? or do I need to activate, then switch back to the old phone? Will I experience any interruption in service?

Thank you for any information

2. EARL97850 macrumors member

Ok...I'll bite, how much are you going to ask for the iPhone?

To answer your question about activation...I think you can just sell them and let the new owner activate them on their own plan.

Cya

3. mo25 macrumors member

Your number is tied to that ESN so if they hit *228 they will activate it with your number.

Now i'm not sure but I think you would have to activate the iphone and then call verizon to do an ESN swap and then you'll be able to sell it.

4. chokepoint macrumors newbie

You know you can still cancel the order, right?

...or is that not the point? ;)

5. jeff_siler macrumors 6502

It was so much easier with GSM and sim cards. With Verizon you have to make sure the ESN is clear. I have always thought that you had to activate the verizon phone first, then downgrade to another phone to sell. This is what I have done with droids.

The key question is, can you sell someone a sealed unactivated phone and make sure the esn is not tied to your account.

Jeff

6. jeff_siler macrumors 6502

I bet you can sell a verizon iPhone for $800 on ebay this week if they arrive early.

7. alkalinetrio388 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is this true? Other threads are saying *228 will not work and you must use iTunes.

Ha...I gave everyone the option to use the iPhone and no one wanted one so now it is time to profit.

8. jeff_siler macrumors 6502

What are they using instead?

9. Vihzel macrumors 6502

10. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

You have to activate them to initiate the contract and get the contract price. If the first activation is on a number different than the one you ordered it for, you will be billed for the full retail price of the phone. That's what a customer service rep told me. So you have to activate it, then change your number back to your old phone... then the iPhone can be activated on any other Verizon phone number, and you still only pay the contract price.

11. tsolt macrumors regular

tsolt

Took the words from my mouth haha

12. Vihzel macrumors 6502

And as a result, the "people" on your 3 lines will not be able to upgrade for the next 2 years. I hope they wont be angry.

13. jeff_siler macrumors 6502

Can you activate it without opening the package, thats the deal breaker.

14. Vihzel macrumors 6502

It's not possible to activate a phone without opening the package as you either need to connect it to iTunes or dial *228 from your phone since it must be programmed and functioning.

15. alkalinetrio388 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I don't think my 82 year old grandmother and 60 year old dad will be too upset if their next phone is a decent droid or other solid phone from eBay for ~100.

16. tsolt macrumors regular

tsolt

17. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

They refused it. I think they wanted the iPhone 5.

18. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Grandma is going to be pissed she's not getting 4G LTE and an 8 device mobile hotspot!
    LOL

19. alkalinetrio388 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just spoke to a Verizon CSR and after putting me on hold for a few minutes she confirmed that I must activate it on the line it was purchased for and once I switch back to the old phone, the iPhone can them be activated on any Verizon number.

20. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I love that it's not even out yet and people are already flipping them.

21. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Happens with every new device. A very busy micro economy.

I've bought quite a few phone upgrades from people who were down on their luck, and the extra money was a godsend to them.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Won't the OP have to keep the line open for a month or give the phone back and of course is the high ETF. I'm not sure why he'll get 800 when current verizon wireless customers can buy the phone for 600 now, and non vzw customers can buy it next week

23. alkalinetrio388 thread starter macrumors newbie

The three lines are already being used, and will continue to be used just not with an iphone therefore I will be paying no ETF. As for the price...if I am able to sell them on Feb 10 I'm thinking I could get about $675 each for them. No waiting in lines and no sales tax.

24. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

There are several factors to take into account. There may be a supply crunch, one never knows. eBay buyers are gullible. And lastly, the phone would set you back about $749 if you buy it from Verizon without a contract. Many don't bother checking Apples $699 pricetag since they're not aware of it. I think he'll be able to get $600 out if there's a huge supply, much more if there's not. I sold an upgrade for $790 on Craigslist within a week of the iPhone 4 launch. Probably could have gotten more on eBay, they reach one thousand there.

25. FiremanMike macrumors regular

I'd be willing to bet you'll have to continue paying data on those lines for the duration of the contract.. $30 x 24 months = $720, plus the $200 you spent on the phone in the first place, means you're making a bad financial decision..