Selling videos via iTunes

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Big Shisha, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Big Shisha macrumors member

Not quite sure if this is the correct forum so mods feel free to move.

Has anyone had any experience selling videos via iTunes?

I video all the games for my sports team and put out highlights and a podcast via iTunes, which is really easy and works well for everyone.
    We also sell full games on DVD (to make a little extra for the team), but this is a right pain, burning the dics, labelling them, boxing them etc.

Is there a way I can put them on the iTunes store? I know Apple will take a cut, but I'm not worried so much about this as the time saved will be worth it.

Hope someone out there can help!

Thanks

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

The short answer is that you can't, because that type of material doesn't meet Apple's criteria for commercial video submissions. Read more about this here.

iTunes allows free video podcasts, but as you already know, everyone can view that material for free.

Regarding DVD manufacturing, how many units would be in your typical batch? There are a number of good replication houses across the country (Disc Makers, for one) that offer duplication (burned) and replication (stamped) packages that are retail-ready (boxed and shrink wrapped at the factory). You just supply the material and the files containing the disc/cover artwork.

3. Big Shisha thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I read that on the iTunes page after I had posted. I guess it's to stop iTunes being cluttered with home movies!

We sell around 10 DVD's of each game, enough to be a pain (over a 10 game season, plus playoffs), but not enough to justify using a DVD replication service.

Does anyone know of any other services that I could upload and digitally distribute each game?

Thanks

4. smokescreen76 macrumors member

In the UK we have a company called Distrify which helps you sell your film online. I'm sure there are other companies that do the same.

http://distrify.com/

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Seems possible for third party.

iTunes also offer commercial subscription podcasts (requires vendor login /password). This place has subscription thing that also works on "locked" iTunes podcasts

http://membership.thinkvitamin.com/
    Not sure if you can do it for individual videos though.

6. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Forget iTunes. Sell your material on Amazon. We make a good chunk selling videos, podcasts, etc.

7. Big Shisha thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies.

Smokescreen76-I had a look at the website, but I think it's just for films?

Baypharm-Do you mean through the Amazon marketplace? I've had a look as I'm sure I read about it before, but the only thing I can find is through the marketplace. Also, I'm in the UK if that makes any difference?

Lighthouse_man-I'll try and find one :D