Selling Watch w/ WatchOS 3 Beta

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by kilcher, Sep 11, 2016.

1. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

I'm selling my Apple Watch tomorrow. It had one of the latest versions of WatchOS 3 beta on it. I've already unpaired it and reset it. I assume it will still have WatchOS 3 on it when the new owner goes to set it up. Do I just tell them to be sure to upgrade to the GM once it's available?

Technically I know you're not supposed to sell a device with beta on it but I also know it's nearly impossible to downgrade the watch.

Hoping I didn't screw things up somehow. :)

2. krazyleb macrumors member

I wouldnt worry about it. WATCH OS 3 releases on the 13th if I'm not mistaken. So they will have to update to it anyways...
    Thats what i'm telling my self because I just sold mine with Watch OS3

3. kilcher thread starter macrumors 65816

kilcher

Ok, I think I read something about betas being good for only so long so I'll just be sure to tell her to upgrade it as soon as she can after the GM is released.

4. igrover macrumors regular

igrover

The watch OS3 GM has already been released. Just go into the watch app on your iPhone and select software update and you should be able to download and install the GM. I did this last Thursday and I was running the beta OS3.

5. kilcher thread starter macrumors 65816

kilcher

Another question. Already sold it to her. Since the watch has OS3 and iOS 10 isn't being released until tomorrow does that mean she can't set up or use the watch until she downloads iOS 10 to her phone?

6. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

yes she needs iOS 10.

and just make sure to delete the beta profiles too. that will take her out of the beta program and have her subject to regular non-beta updates.

7. kilcher thread starter macrumors 65816

kilcher

Delete them from my watch or from my phone? I only see one on my phone, which I assume is for iOS10. Grr, I should have thought this through a little better. :p

If the beta profile is on the watch, can't she just upgrade her phone to iOS10 tomorrow, then upgrade the watch to OS 3, then should I tell her to go delete the profile from the watch?

I really appreciate your help with this.

8. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

Now I'm not so sure. If they dont have the Watch beta profile on their phone, then they probably are off the beta now.

What I would do if after installing ios 10, have them reset the watch again (Before pairing with their phone). Then have them pair it, and check for any Watch OS updates.

(can i ask how much you sold it for?)

9. kilcher thread starter macrumors 65816

kilcher

$200. 42mm Sport w/ 2 bands. Same as I bought it for about a month ago.

Guess we'all see where we're at after she installs iOS10. Just felt bad she might not be able to use it right away.

10. teidon macrumors 6502

teidon

Unpairing will erase the Watch meaning that there won't be anything left on it.

And yes, iOS 10 is required to setup up and use watchOS 3 device. iOS 10 and watchOS 3 should be released today around 1700 GMT+0 / 10am Cupertinian time. Give or take couple hours.