Selling your iPhone 3GS? Want it Unlocked and Jailbroken? Please Read.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bytethese, Jun 30, 2010.

1. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

You want to sell your jailbroken/unlocked 3GS, but you want to sell it with iOS4 loaded. Here's some steps that worked for me and hopefully that work for you as well.

Some background:
    • Black 32GB iPhone 3GS, purchased on Launch Day
    • iBoot 359.3
    • Firmware 3.0.1
    • Baseband 04.26.08
    • SHSH on file with Cydia
    • Done on a MacOS 10.6.3 13" Macbook Pro
    • iTunes 9.2
    To ensure that none of your personal data can be recovered, you should always do an Erase All Content and Settings. The problem with this is that it will wipe out your entire iPhone, iOS included. As per Dev Team, in order to update a 3GS to iOS 4.0 and have it jailbroken, you must upgrade from a previously jailbroken device, which therein lies the issue. I performed the steps outlined below with the iPhone and specs outlined above. YMMV but I hope this helps. :)

1. Erase All Content and Settings on your iPhone 3GS.
    2. With iTunes Closed, edit your Hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts on Windows or /etc/hosts on Mac OS X) and enter this on the bottom line: 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    3. Use Pwnage Tool 3.1.5 to create a custom firmware for 3.0 (7A341). If needed, download Apple's firmware from: http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/IPhone_Firmware_Download_Links#4.0
    4. Place iPhone in DFU Mode (http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034) and press Option key while clicking Restore.
    5. Select your 3.0 Custom Firmware.
    6. Jailbreak with redsn0w 0.92.
    7. Use Pwnage Tool 4.0.1 to create a Custom Firmware with iOS 4.0 (8A293)
    8. Follow step 4.
    9. Select your 4.0 Custom Firmware
    10. Open Cydia and download ultrasn0w 0.93, when prompted, press button to Reboot Device.
    11. Insert SIM card of your choice for testing and power off your iPhone by holding the Home and Power buttons for 3 seconds until the "Slide to Power off" screen is shown, then turn your iPhone on again.
    12. Sell your iPhone 3GS with confidence knowing your personal data is wiped, but your iPhone is still jailbroken/unlocked. :)

2. djuarez03 macrumors regular

I do not believe this is true. When you erase all content and settings, I believe it only wipes out your apps, music, and leaves ONLY the iOS. It would also leave the Jailbreak and Unlock if I'm not mistaken. So you might be able to simplify your instructions even more with this in mind.

3. ZenoVT macrumors regular

how bout if i just want to restore it to 3.1.3?

4. bytethese thread starter macrumors 68030

bytethese

Actually, it does erase everything. :) Meaning iOS, user data, etc. There are remnants in the boot loader (you still see the pineapple or logo you used previously) but it doesn't boot after you erase everything. I tried to Erase All Content and Settings and simply restore a pwned 4.0 firmware and would get 1600 errors. My steps above were the only way to resolve this.
    You should be able to downgrade using the instructions above, so long as your SHSH is on file with Cydia however I have not tried to use pwnage Tool to build a 3.1.3 firmware. But since the new Ultrasn0w can unlock any baseband 04.26.08 and up, you may want to downgrade with a stock firmware after pointign iTunes to Saurik's server, then use redsn0w to jailbreak, then download ultrasn0w to unlock.

5. The General macrumors 601

This only works if the person had their SHSH for 3.0 backed up.

You CAN NOT jailbreak iOS 4 on a 3GS unless you have SHSH backed up for 3.0, 3.0.1, 3.1.1, or 3.1.2. If all you have is 3.1.3, then you can only downgrade to 3.1.3 which means your ONLY OPTION is to jailbreak and unlock with spirit/ultrasn0w at 3.1.3.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats completelly false.
    Yes it does delete all content including the OS on the phone leaving it totally empty.

7. ZenoVT macrumors regular

i'm trying to create custom firmware of 3.0 with pwnage 3.1.5 but its giving me a wrong firmware bundle error...

8. still in school macrumors 6502

If it does indeed delete the OS, then could I in theory downgrade to 3.1.3 if my SHSH files were never uploaded?

9. corriewf macrumors 6502a

10. The General macrumors 601

No.

11. bytethese thread starter macrumors 68030

bytethese

Hmm, I'm not sure, it should be the right version as I did this last night. PM me if you like and I'll check my laptop tomorrow (I don't have it with me and I won't be home tonight until later)
    No, in theory you could not since Apple is no longer signing any 3.x firmware.
    Hmm, the iTunes steps, etc would work on a PC but someone would have to create the custom packages for you from a mac as Pwnage is a Mac only tool.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, just be patient.
    Maybe something new will be out soon.
    And stay in school:D

13. djuarez03 macrumors regular

Yeah, my bad. I did a little more research, and I hadn't realized that "Erase all content and settings" does wipe out everything, including the iOS. It basically forces you to restore your iOS when it's finished.

14. jlmitnick macrumors regular

Incorrect.

See this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=953073

It's a little difficult...requires you to transfer files over to the phone, and run some SSH commands, but you can ultimately get to a jailbroken iOS 4 iphone 3gs from a 3.1.3 spirit jailbreak (so long as you are old bootrom).

15. still in school macrumors 6502

On the flip side, can the 3g be downgraded from iOS4 if the SHSH files weren't saved?

I will, I'm walking this August!

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes 3G models can downgrade any time. They don't use shshs.
    Just 3GS models and iPhone 4 models.

17. The General macrumors 601

Cool.

18. Nderm macrumors newbie

Help!

bytethese, I need your help to retrieve deleted text msgs on an iPhone 4...it's extremely important

19. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Oddist thread bump ever.